Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Crosley Adventurer

I found this unusual Crosley console at an estate sale today. At first I thought someone had hacked another chassis into the cabinet until I realized this model was built with the shortwave converter included. They were asking $100, but I managed to at least get them down to $70 on this unit. It was too unusual to pass up. On the good side, it seems to be a rare beast, with little information out there about it. Luckily, it uses parts from other Crosley radios. The down side is that it's missing a tube, only one knob is left, on control shaft on the shortwave converter is broke off flush with the cabinet, and some fool stuck their hand through the speaker, ruining the cone. Still, it has possibilities and I now finally have my pre-war Crosley console I've been wanting. That means the bulky postwar Crosley console can be sold and exit stage left. Icon_smile
Edit: Just found out the guy who used to do speakers up in Lima, Ohio, which wasn't overly far from me, moved down to Georgia recently. Seems everyone who knows anything are leaving Ohio!

No matter where you go, there you are.

Nice score!   Sets with built in SW chassis are not very common and I've never seen a Crosley with one.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

That is a very different radio, and I do like the style, especially the cabinet legs and spindles that connect the legs.
 I'll bet it weighs a bit.
 it will look very nice when it is all cleaned up.
 Dan

Living in Calgary Alberta

Yeah, the stretcher base is Da Bomb.

I really like the leggy models. Wonder why I don't collect them? Oh, I know... 'cause they never come up out here.

I am trying to get the parts scraped together to get this radio worked on and working. Actually located another speaker still hanging on the remains of another Crosley radio cabinet. Looked like it would have been the companion console to this radio, but all that was left was the front panel, two legs, and the speaker. Sadly, even this speaker has lots of cracks in the cone. Might be able to patch it to make a 'working' speaker to use to get the radio going again and use while the original is out for a recone. A friend of mine said Crosley used a Jensen speaker in these sets and so far I've found the paper to be very brittle on both speakers. Maybe high acid content in the paper?
I like leggy radios myself, but am out of room. Was offered a GE J-125, working, that is destined to be stripped for parts, but I just can't do it anymore. That radio is a story in itself.

No matter where you go, there you are.