Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Radio Heaven

Last week during the Mid Atlantic Antique Radio Club summer swapmeet someone told me about this place, Fireside Antiques located at 13010 9th Street, in Bowie MD 20720 (Phone 301-464-2999).
I was told that the owner was really into Atwater Kents and other 1920's sets. So yesterday I decided to check the place out in person and to say that it is a version of Radio Heaven would be a huge understatement.
I mean this guy has D**n near everything; from 1920s & 1930s consoles, Atwater Kents of course, cathedrals, tombstones. I even saw some RCA Radiola III and Radiola IIIAs as well along with numerous phonographs, 78s, antique electric fans, and even a 1954 Admiral TV, all of which are in various states of working and non working condition.
The prices vary widely of course but they are quite reasonable compared to other places where you might find old radio & radio related items. Business was dead yesterday afternoon (I was the only one in the store) and the proprietor said he receives hardly any fellow radio collectors as customers which I thought was ridiculous because this place is a gold mine in terms of its variety of old radios and other collectible antiques.
I attributed this lack of traffic by collectors to the fact that very few people have probably ever heard of the place so I promised him that I'd try to rectify that situation by bringing his shop to the attention of this and other antique radio related groups.
The store is composed of two buildings; one of which has an upper level and antique radios are everywhere. So if anyone wishes to add to their existing collection or even start one, this is definitely the place to go because as I said earlier, he has D**n near everything and in addition to that he also restores non working sets to like new condition.
Sorry I had to use a stock photo of the outside of the place for a picture but since I'd never been there before I didn't think it would be appropriate for me to start taking photos of the inside of this store when the owner had no idea as to who I was.
ISo if you all can spread the word about this place and help generate some business for it I think everyone will benefit because his inventory is that good and his prices are that reasonable

Attached Files Image(s)

to bad no web site or on line ordering

here is web pic

http://www.theshopsofoldbowie.com/Firesi...iques.html

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

(07-02-2016, 02:32 PM)sam Wrote:  to bad no web site or on line ordering

here is web pic

http://www.theshopsofoldbowie.com/Firesi...iques.html

sam
I think if enough collectors  learn about the place and start  showing up this will change.  Again, I was somewhat stunned when he told me that I was the first fellow antique radio collector who had shown up there in ages.