Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 37-650 Toner Colors

Hello, I'm getting ready to refinish my Philco 37-650X cabinet and was wondering what colors of toners are suitable for it and how are the toners applied to the cabinet. The trim on the cabinet was a different color than the rest of the cabinet. I have the cabinet completely stripped and lightly sanded so once I get the toners I need I should be ready to refinish. I haven't used toners before--just used stains and I want to do it right on this radio as this is the model that got me started collecting antique radios back in 1978. I have the 37-650 chassis that I got from Ron Ramirez a while back ready to install in the cabinet after I get it done.  Ken

Hi Ken - There is some info on toner colors for the 37-650X model in this thread:
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=2444

A toner is mixed with clear laquer and sprayed onto the cabinet with a spray gun. You can also get ready made toner mixed with laquer in a spray can. Most people that do that use Mohawk laquers. They have tints in them very close to what was originally used on the radio. The color depends on which radio you have. Im sure someone here can tell you a certain toner color to use for your model using the Mohawk colors, if your spraying with a gun you can choose a color close to the Mohawk they recommend to mix with clear laquer for your gun.

One thing I would strongly recommend if you've never used toners before is to practice on something else besides the radio cabinet first. You need to get a "feel" for it...it's different than spray paint. The main thing is don't rush...use many light coats and let the cabinet dry thoroughly in between coats.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org