Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

46-1201

All, How do you open up the 46-1201? I cannot seem to find out how it opens...

Is there a trick to it??

Skip...

Do you mean to put a record in it? Door in the front folds down.

Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry, I need to know how to take it apart.. I thought there was some kind of release and it folded up to reveal the insides?

Skip...

it's a night mare,,,tight wires in length,,some wires have to be desoldered to work on it right,,to get chassis free

It's been a good while since I've had one in my hands. Not to rain on your parade but as a novelty there interesting but from a practical standpoint they are a bit of a money pit. By the time you buy it, repair the electronics, replace the phono cartridge, and the rubber drive wheel you could have $100 tied up in it. I think but I could be wrong that some versions are real wood w/o the Philcote (photofinish) coating which would make any cabinet repairs simpler. Unfortunately it only plays 78's. Maybe if there is a clever soul out there who maybe be able to regulate the motor speed with a triac use a different needle and play 45's or 33's. Don't know if the opening is large enough for the 33 LP.

Just a few unsolicited thoughts.

Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry, Ok Understand I picked up 6 Radios from the guy up in Sellersville. That was one of them.. I paid 20.00 ea for the radios. They were a 46-350,46-1209,46-1201 a RCA Victor T-55 and a V-210. And a Stromberg Carlson 430M.. Projects for a while.. He also had 13 tubes that he thru in..

Ps I did find out how to open it. There are 2 push buttons inside the door the you hold in and tilt the wood up to reveal the insides..

Skip...

That should keep you out of trouble for a while!!!

GLOM
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Well It should help...

Thanks
Skip...

The tire on the idler wheel may or may not be shot, on mine it was fine, but the crystal cartridge in the phonograph is more then likely to be dead. Fortunately the tone arm is hidden inside so you can pretty much use any 78 RPM needled cartridge that will mechanically fit. One thing that may be a problem is that the motor and any other moving parts will need to have the dried out grease cleaned out and be relubricated, in mine the motor was seized from disuse, the bearing on the idler wheel may have been the same. Another item that may or may not be all right is the flocking on the turntable platter, on mine it is gone, but many have had success in reflocking the platter themselves. In my set the mercury tilt switch is bad, so the set has pretty much sat in drydock until I find a go around.
  In truth I have had more problems with the radio, whilst I recapped and replaced and resistors that needed it (cramped chassis), I could never get the set to track properly across the dial no matter how many times I tried to align it. I should clarify that my set is one of the Canadian versions of a 46-1201, I think that they called it a model 76A or something, the only schematic I could find was in the RCC manuals, so I photocopied that one, and collected schematics for every one of the U.S versions trying to find something that would match as mine was not exactly like the one in the RCC manuals. There were two production runs, and at least seven different code numbers between 121 and 128, involving everything from tube changes to switching from an oval electrodynamic to a 5'' round P.M dynamic. It's a model that Philco got a lot of mileage out of.
Regards
Arran

Arran, Ok thanks for the information..

Looks like it will be a Challenge..

Skip...