Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco470/490

Saw a post over on the other forum from some one who has a 470 that doesn't have a 70 or 90 chassis. It has a 51 chassis, did Philco produce a set like this??

Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopi...1&t=303770

Hmmm...I'll comment more later this evening (at work now)...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

...later this evening...

I would have to see more, better, larger photos before drawing a conclusion. I would need to see:
  • underside of the 51 chassis
  • the gold sticker on the back of the 51 chassis (does it say "Model 51" or something else?)
  • the back side of the front panel, and the shelf the upper chassis sits on

Based upon the photos shown in that thread, I wonder if that 51 chassis was modified at the factory, or after the fact? It would have to have a larger power transformer with a heavier current capacity to power itself plus that modified* Model 4 SW chassis.

(* - modified in that these SW converter chassis do not have a separate 80 rectifier or power supply as the stand-alone Model 4 SW converters have; they draw their B+ and filament voltages from the radio above)

On the other hand, if someone took a 470 or 490 and added that 51 chassis after the fact, then someone did a very good job of making that panel.

Knowing how Philco has Phooled us before with undocumented, very low production Phactory Phranken-Philcos, who knows...

Edit: It seems to me that someone has mentioned owning, or having seen, a set like the one in question before. Yes! I remember! It was a Phorum member who I haven't seen on here in a while...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Who ever did it did a very good job of it. If I had to guess I'd vote for factory.

Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Then, I too am leaning towards undocumented Phactory Phranken-Philco. Icon_smile

I can sort of see a cable dangling from the upper chassis with a four-pin connector which mates with the four-pin chassis plug on the back of the SW converter chassis. This connector provides B+ and filament voltages, as I mentioned earlier. But that 51 would still have to have a beefed-up power transformer to be able to run the 51 chassis and the SW converter chassis.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

some one over the weekend gave me what is a philco 470. but someone has made some changes to it. they made a new front for it and put a philco 51in it. But I do have all the parts to restore this I just need to make a new front. Dose any one have a pattern or dimension's or may be even a tracing of the front. I have enclosed some phots sorry I am not sure why they are side ways
Ben

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Ben,
Are you sure this was done after the fact? There is some possibility that it came from the factory. Before you make the decision to replace the panel and chassis you may want to post some pics of the cables going to each chassis. any tags, power transformer(s) and top/bottom of both chassis.

As Ron mentions the convertor should not have it own power transformer as a stand alone model 4 convertor would. The power transformer in the 51 would be a bit larger because of the higher current requirement for powering both chassis. You say you have the parts to replace the 51 chassis with 70 or 90. But those chassis would need to have the larger transformer too.  I suppose if you had a 70 and a 90 you might be able to replace the 70 transformer with the one from the 90 and use the 70.
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=15039
Just as a aside you may want to check the continuity of the rf and osc coils in both chassis, it's the right vintage to has some open ones.
GL Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

merged together  since same subject

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

(07-19-2016, 10:15 AM)sam Wrote:  merged together  since same subject

Hey Sam
Why don't you twist his pics around I'm getting flat side on my head from looking at them! If Bob can do it you can too!

Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

grumble  grumble  mod`s have to do every thing

[Image: http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag14...o4lu4v.jpg]
[Image: http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag14...mbf6ec.jpg]
[Image: http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag14...dbgqi7.jpg]

Icon_thumbup

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

(07-18-2016, 02:34 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopi...1&t=303770

Hmmm...I'll comment more later this evening (at work now)...

as soon as I get home I will get more pics

ok so how do I twist those around

mg
when you click on pic  dose it open with  windows photo viewer
if so use tools turn pic then arrow to next pic it will save

sam

mafiamen2

ok every one it looks like this was add I have included photos 1 and 2 show the hole for the model 70 and 90 and then the drilled holes for the model 51. photo 3 the wire form the plug goes to the 47 tube. photo 4 on and off switch. photo 5 goes to the cap number 28 and 6 the wire goes to a bake lite cap that I think was added it goes to the to the power cord and transformer

Attached Files Image(s)

I had to carry this to a new reply for some reason. I also checked the service bulletins and the power supply for the 470 and the model 70 look to be the same and so do the power supply for the 490 and the 90 and it looks to me that the 490 used the chassis that used the one 47 tube correct me If I have made a mistake I also have the stand alone model four but I need a cabinet should I put a post in the want to buy section
ben 

Attached Files Image(s)