Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco470/490

What is the part number of the power transformer in your 51 chassis?

It does look like the cable carrying power to the SW converter chassis, coming out of the 51 chassis, was added at a later time. I don't think Philco would have used a rubber grommet - I think they would have used a fiber grommet, like the one which the AC cord goes through.

Oh, and Ben, the differences between a 70 and 470, and a 90 and 490:

Both upper chassis use larger power transformers which are capable of supplying the extra current for the B+ and filaments in the SW converter chassis. In other words, you can't just stick a 90 chassis in that cabinet, add the cable, and be done. You will need a power transformer which can handle the extra load of the 90 chassis plus the SW converter chassis. A power transformer from a Philco 112, for instance.

The same goes for the 70 chassis. It would require a power transformer from a single 47 model 90 to handle the extra load.

And the same would go for the 51, if it were original - it would need a larger transformer capable of handling the extra load.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

cant see the part number on the 51 but here are some more photos it looks like what some one did was add the original cable to the 51

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-19-2016, 07:51 PM)mg34.42 Wrote:  ...it looks like what some one did was add the original cable to the 51

Based on your pictures, I am now inclined to agree.

Well, whoever made the conversion did a very good job with the cabinet; it's too bad they weren't so careful with the power transformer.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

ok guys here is my progress I have used one of the original escutcheons that is the metal one I am now hunting up anther original metal one my wife accidently step on one and it has been rendered unusable dose any one know where I can find one. I have installed a 70 chassis but have not had time to change the power supply I would really like to find anther escutcheon still have not figured out how to rotate the photo  the photo that is sideways I had turned my camera
ben

Attached Files Image(s)

The bottom (SW) escutcheon might be hard to find.   If I remember correctly it is different from the 70 or 90 escutcheon because while it looks the same it says "Made in U.S.A." on it.  A regular brass model 70 escutcheon will look pretty good while you search for the correct one.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

(07-27-2016, 11:53 PM)Eliot Ness Wrote:  The bottom (SW) escutcheon might be hard to find.   If I remember correctly it is different from the 70 or 90 escutcheon because while it looks the same it says "Made in U.S.A." on it.  A regular brass model 70 escutcheon will look pretty good while you search for the correct one.

any idea where I can find one of them

Nope, other than keeping a close watch on the auction site...

unless...

You might contact Ed (Blacksmith) at Renovated Radios. He is a Phorum member - just send a PM to blacksmith, or go to his website and scroll all the way down the home page to get his contact info.

My point is...if Ed is willing to reproduce this part...I'm willing to send the "Made in U.S.A." escutcheon from my set to him to be reproduced.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(07-28-2016, 07:26 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Nope, other than keeping a close watch on the auction site...

unless...

You might contact Ed (Blacksmith) at Renovated Radios. He is a Phorum member - just send a PM to blacksmith, or go to his website and scroll all the way down the home page to get his contact info.

My point is...if Ed is willing to reproduce this part...I'm willing to send the "Made in U.S.A." escutcheon from my set to him to be reproduced.

OK I'll send a message to see what he can do