Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 41-629 with images

Purchased from original owners. Unfortunately, I have had to put it in storage with the possibility that it will be a project for this coming winter. I was told it did operate but I have not powered it up and don't want to until I go through it.
As marked Model 41-629 code 121 radio chassis tagged T 00238
Beam of Light turntable
Ah ha! found my original post from a few months ago Icon_lol . So let me add the images .
I had a third party pick up the set and deliver it to my storage so I have noticed a few scratches and dings ( a few more hours of restoration time, thats OK).

Your thoughts and opinions welcome

It's always nice to get a set from the original owners, and it's a big plus that it still has the Beam of Light turntable   Icon_thumbup

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Chassis looks to be rust free and the cabinet doesn't look that rough to me. It might have the rubber wire in the chassis that can be irritating to replace if necessary. Good find !

nice winter project Icon_thumbup
I like the used look.  maybe apply some howard`s to it and that's it
check make sure the tracking needle is their and ok
sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Thanks for your comments. As I look at the back of the set I see a tag that says"Built for television sound and frequency modulation". Does the device mounted on the upper left hand corner have anything to do with that function?? I don't see anything on the dial face to indicate FM reception. I understand FM was in it's infancy at that point in time. If possible, I would like to be able use use that set for listening to FM

steve
the black metal box is for home recording unit witch you do not have

hopefully your on off button works still 
i believe  fm and tv were wire less you just tuned into it  (i could be wrong )

sam 

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Steve,
You poacher!!!!
All the station that the PB are set on are in the Philly area.
The 1st time I read your title I thought that you where getting station where they don't belong. Any way set looks to be in good shape and with rub on magic (like Sam mentioned) or Gojo/johnson paste wax would make a big improvement. As for FM perhas the simplest would be to add a switch to the phono input to switch between it and a FM tuner or any audio source. I suppose the issue is it you want to go old sckool w/ a FM tuner from the '40s they tend to be not all that great. Drift can be a problem (no afc)

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

...not to mention the fact that even if you could find a prewar FM tuner, it would be for the obsolete 42-50 mc FM band...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi that is a fine looking radio.  The black metal block that is mounted to the top of the cabinet with the large cable is the matching transformer for the beam of light phono pickup.
Joe

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY

I was think of a post war job like a Meissner or Pilot. Not one of those FM-50 jobs.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

WELL,,By the pushbuttons,,,its from the Phila. Pa. area,,,,

A Pilotuner or Meissner tuner would be a neat addition. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Wow, you guys are alright! Got me to thinking about looking around for the home recording unit because I keep stumbling across blank recording discs. As for the FM tuner, I'll just pull my Scott 333B Stereomaster receiver off the MacIntosh MA6200 amp (it will sit well right on top of the Philco).
As I understand Alaska history 1930s-40s, the Depression did not really affect the territory prior to WW2. People with education and skills were moving into the country from all over the lower 48. So having a set from Pennsylvania not out of the ordinary. I have had west coast sets cross my path mostly in the last 10 years.
Looks to be a good winter.....