Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help in Identifying radio

(07-27-2016, 02:50 PM)klondike98 Wrote:  So you need to find a 38-89 chassis or its equivalent.  That would mean any of the following radios with a working chassis (or even the chassis without the cabinet since the chassis in these are the same) would fill the bill: 37-89B (table model), 37-89F (console), 38-89B (table model), or 38-89K (console).  

Borrowing might be difficult since shipping is always a somewhat risky business but you never know until you ask.  You can add a note in the "Wanted Ads" section to buy or borrow a set and see who might have something. There are a few 37-89s on ebay at the moment even some that claim to be working (that sometimes means that the dial lamp glows or you can hear static).  

There is the Northwest Vintage Radio Society that is only 2 hours south of you that might have someone who owns one of the above radios and could help you out.  Unfortunately I don't know anyone in that group but you could give them a call to see what they might have.  Most folks in this hobby are pretty friendly and always interested in showing off their collections.

If you are trying to recreate the radio call that the lady believes she heard and looking for the same set to use as part of the experiment, keep in mind that restored sets today may vary quite a bit in performance depending on how well they were restored.  Reception on short wave can be very dependent on the atmospheric conditions that cause the radio signals to bounce off the atmosphere and travel long distances (I'm no expert on this, just general info. )    OK..probably more than you wanted to know ...
Great response, thanks.
I will check with the NW Vintage Radio Society. Yes we are going to re-create the transmission.  Anyone know what the sun activity was on July 2, 1937?  Does anyone have any thoughts on how much change there is in the daily, monthly, and yearly activity in atmospheric conditions as it relates to receiving long distance radio transmissions?  

Quote:Yes we are going to re-create the transmission.

That's cool!!! Good luck. Update the Phorum on how its progressing every once in awhile!

Hello Les.  Keep in mind that you will need to use the relatively short antenna that was equipped on the Electra.  Amelia began her voyage with a long wire antenna that would have been much more suited for long distance transmissions, but discarded it along the way because they thought it too cumbersome to extend and roll up.  Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

I'm in your neck of the woods Les (Seattle). I don't have a 37-89 / 38-89 myself but let me know if I can be of any help restoring one. Icon_smile

(07-27-2016, 05:27 PM)Nathan Slingerland Wrote:  I'm in your neck of the woods Les (Seattle). I don't have a 37-89 / 38-89 myself but let me know if I can be of any help restoring one. Icon_smile

I'll know for sure whether this plan will be finalized within a couple of weeks.
Thanks,, restoration might be necessary.