Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco VTVM Model 7004

Forgive me, this is my first post as a noob. 

I have a Philco Model 7004 VTVM.  It has connectors for the test leads that I've never seen before. 

Question is, has anyone seen this before or have any info on this?  Is it worth my time to restore or just pass it along to someone who would have an interest in it? 

I've attached a picture of this.  Case is bakelite and there are a few chunks missing in the case.  Can't remember if I even opened it up when I came across it a few years back. 

Hope I didn't step on any rules.  Forgive the noob!  haha. 

Mitch

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

No one has chimed in on whether its worth restoring so I'll add my 2 cents. If you want to make a few bucks on it I'd flip it for enough to make what you want out of it. If you want it for a test device or you just enjoy the restoration process, restore it.

Sure resembles a Simpson. If you plan to restore old radios it is good to have an old meter to duplicate the voltage readings on the schematics. It depends on your love for this meter and how much time you want to spend, condition, etc. Might be neat to have in your collection. 

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Hi Mitch,
First time I've seen it too. Looks like the two cables use a bayonet style connector like the base of a #47 lamp. If you open it up you'll find a battery inside which will be dead. Some use the ubiquitous D cell but others use a harder to find 30v cell. If the battery has leaked it may take a little work to sort that out, it is only for the ohms measurement not for any of the voltage measurements. If you do get it going double check the ohms scale for accuracy, if someone has used it to measure voltage with it in the resistance setting it can damage resistors inside the set. Fancy ones have a breaker that trips to stop any damage.
The down side is that nowadays most folks are used to using a digital meter (your VOM will be closer to the original measurement on the paperwork as it load the circuit). VOM are pretty cheap on the 2nd hand market. I picked up two nice ones $5 ea over the years.
I use a VOM (volt ohm meter) and VTVOM (vacuum tube volt ohm meter) to measure low current grid voltages (like in oscillator circuits) and sometimes a digital dvm for resistances cause I'm lazy.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Well, seeing that I have about fifteen other VTVMs, Heathkit/Eico/RCA VoltOhmyst and a few unknowns, it would probably be best to pass it along to someone who would want it for their collection.  (Oh yeah, I really do have at least fifteen VTVMs - doesn't everybody???)  All are in need of restoration except one.  

I think I opened it up when I got it a few years back.  Would have yanked the old battery then.  

I'll post a picture of the innards on the next go-round.  

Mitch

Took the back off today for a peek inside.  Uses one 12AX7, a selenium rectifier and a D cell battery for the ohms.  Looks pretty rough.  Think its too far gone for a restoration unless I can find a new cabinet.  There's actually three sections to the bakelite cabinet.  The middle bakelite section is the one thats messed up.  

As far as the input jacks, I'd probably end up changing them to BNCs.  Keep the old jacks in a small plastic bag tucked inside the VTVM in case a future owner wanted to change it back to original.  

If you look closely, you'll see a date of October 20, 1961 stamped in three places.  I could swear it was much older. 

The more I look at this thing, the more I lean toward giving it away and let someone else have the joy of restoring it.

Mitch

Glad I found this post with pics! Just today I was in an old Radio/TV repair shop that is all but closed. You cannot imagine all the stuff accumulated there since 1947. Unfortunately the current owner told me several weeks ago someone came in (from Mexico!) and bought up most of his old stuff.. However I did find this same Philco VTVM. First for me too! Also found a Philco portable scope model 7020. He's suppose to be pulling out some more 'hidden treasures' and make me a packaged deal. It's the size of a small warehouse and you can barely squeeze though the racks of stuff so may find Amelia Earhart or Jimmy Hoffa.

rontaylor
Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave