Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Case difference between 37-60 and 37-61

I had a guy give me a Philco 37-61, and I've been looking for a case for it. It seems there are more of the 37-60 cases out there. Looking at some pictures, it appears that the radius at the top of the case is slightly different - but it could just be the angle that the picture was taken.
Does anyone know if there is a difference between the two? Seems like the 61 has 3 bands, where the 60 has 2, so the dial window (name escapes me) might be different. Thanks for any guidance / thoughts -

Welcome to the Phorum!
The 37-61 chassis is differrent from the 37-60, see the descriptions on Ron's gallery page:
http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1937a.htm#h

Not sure if there were differences in the cabinets.

The 37-60 cabinet has a smaller hole for the tuning shaft...becaaause the 37-60 only has single speed tuning.

The 37-61 cabinet has a larger hole for the tuning shaft...because the 37-61 has dual tuning knobs (inner knob and outer collar) to provide two speed tuning.

Otherwise...no, the cabinets are the same.

You are aware, I'm sure, that the early 1937 models were cathedrals, and the later 1937 models (from mid-season on) were tombstones? And then there were the consoles...

At one time I owned a 37-60B and a 37-61B, both cathedrals. Other than the tuning shaft and size of that hole...the cabinets were identical.

And, no...the 37-61 does not have three bands, it has two. But the second band is a real SW band, not the "police" band of the 37-60. Which is probably why the 37-61 has dual concentric tuning knobs...to make the SW stations easier to tune in.

If you had to, you could always punch that 3/8" tuning shaft hole to 3/4" with the aid of a Forstner bit.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks, guys - greatly appreciate the info. Good to know about the tuner knob hole.