Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 90 arch veneer

I have learned that the arches of the Philco 90 cathedral were made with oriental wood veneer; any idea where I might be able to acquire some of this? Or what might be a suitable substitute? Thanks,
Doc

I am not sure there was any veneer...at least on some of them it looks like a plain stained plywood.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Correction- the fronts of the arches. It is definitely covered in a veneer because one of my arches is missing about half of it. In a post from 6-18 one of the posters said the veneer was "oriental wood"  so that was my clue.

The sales literature is often a good source of information about the type of wood veneer used.

In the case of the Philco 90 cathedral we can look to the 1931 sales card flip book:
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=13735

So you're on the right track with 'oriental wood'. Maybe this?
http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/oriental-wood-veneer.html

"Oriental Wood Veneer is a walnut-like wood with darker stripes and a hint of red and some figure. It is also known as Australian Walnut and Queensland Walnut."

I think Mike is talking about the rear arch, Doc is talking about the front arch. Maybe????

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Yes, you're right Terry.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Sorry, Mike. I didn't specify front arch. I wasn't even thinking about that rear. Yeah, it's just plywood. And Nathan , thanks for the info.
Doc

PM sent.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Problem solved!