Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can You Wash Photofinish???

Hi all....that's my question...can you wash photofinish??? I had four or five radios at an antique store that suffered a fire. None are fire or heat damaged but all are soot covered. Three are Philco radios; a 42-340, a 42 PT-3, and a 49-500. Two have photofinish, the 42 PT-3 is covered with it. Can it be cleaned and how??? My thanks in advance....

I have used GoJo or Goop hand cleaner on cabinets with a photofinish and then wiped with a damp sponge without problems.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Interesting questing. I think it depends on the condition of the photofinish. Badly worn or spotted finish maybe a bit problematic to clean up. If it's in good shape I would  use some water on a cloth to clean, wouldn't rub really vigorously.If you like bubbles a bit of baby shampoo will give you a little more cleaning action but is still pretty mild.

I have a few Philcote sets that where spotted badly but was able the use some acrylic paints to touch up these areas. Afterwords gave it a few lite coats of lacquer to blend the touch ups. Turned out well.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hmm, it is hard to say. We had a fire and I know that soot is one of the hardest things to get cleaned off. Usually the finish comes off with it,it is baked on too. Try the gojo that was suggested. Probably your best bet.

When we had a house fire, the insurance clean up crew washed down the house quite well using TSP (trisodiumphosphate) mixed in water.  Mix some in warm water, dip, then wring out a soft rag, and try it on a small area before attacking the entire radio.  If they are as bad as you seem to indicate that they are, what have you got to lose? Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan