Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PT-33 project?

Hey guys,
I've decided that my period correct bathroom remodel should also have a period correct radio to go in it! I rummaged around the stuff I forgot I had pile and found a little 1939(stamped NOV 1 1939) PT-33, don't remember where I got it but there it was. Cosmetically it's in great shape and will look like new when cleaned up. It will of course need to be rebuilt. It has all that wonderful vintage rubber coated wire that will need replacing as well as all the components crammed into that tiny chassis Icon_crazy ! My question to the forum is, has anyone ever restored one of these Transitones and how does it perform? I also have a Airline 14WG625A in an ivory painted bakelite cabinet that is a candidate as well. I like the Philco PT-33 because it's smaller, doesn't require repainting and well, it's a Philco!!!! The Airline is bigger but has a neater Art Deco cabinet and is a 6 tube layout to the Philcos 5 tubes. They are about a horse apiece when it comes to rebuilding, the Airline also has the same dried out wiring but has a little more room to work on stuff. So, let me hear your thoughts! Thanks!
Kevin 

The PT-33 is a 1940 model. It came out in August 1939 as a 1940 model.

All of those tiny Transitone chassis are basically the same. I've done a few, including a 40-501 for Sam late last year. They perform well once properly restored.

I have found that the only way I can redo one of those chassis, since it is so cramped underneath, is to strip everything out, all of the old wiring, everything...and start over from scratch. YMMV.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Careful near the tub, as Dangerfield said he knew his momma did not like him when she gave him a plug in radio for his bathtub toy.

Paul 

Tubetalk1

No worries Paul!!! Won't be near the tub and besides I have all brand new GFCI outlets installed!! I find your analogy somewhat "shocking!" by the way! LOL!!!!!!

Lol Icon_lol

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2