Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco radio from 1971 Ford F100

Hello,

Once in a while when I turn on the radio (Philco part no. DITA-18806) in my 1971 ford F100 pickup, it works fine. However, most of the time I can't get a station to come in. It makes noises as I turn the tuner dial but that's all. I have no experience with the inside of a radio. Should I make an attempt to repair it? If so, is there a book on the subject? I've enjoyed learning how to repair things on the truck as things go wrong including overhauling the engine and some work on the drive train. Repairing the radio could be another interesting challenge but I don't want to invest a lot of time and money in equipment for a one time repair.

Thanks,

Steve L

You mentioned "most of the time I can't get a station to come in." Does that mean that sometimes you CAN receive stations?

A few options come to mind. First, are you in a weak signal area where an antenna problem could result in *NO* reception?

How about the voltage at the radio's terminals? Is it up to par? (12v +).

In the 'no reception' mode are you hearing noise at plenty of volume?

The early 70s were particularly bad years for anything that has the name Philco.

Thanks for the reply!

>You mentioned "most of the time I can't get a station to come in." Does that mean that sometimes you CAN receive stations?

Yes, when the radio works, it works fine. I can change stations and the signal is strong.

>A few options come to mind. First, are you in a weak signal area where an antenna problem could result in *NO* reception?

I'm in the same place when I get a signal and when I don't so I'm sure that isn't the problem.

>How about the voltage at the radio's terminals? Is it up to par? (12v +).

My tester isn't with me now, I'll try tomorrow but since the radio works so well when it's working I'm guessing that's not the problem.

>In the 'no reception' mode are you hearing noise at plenty of volume?

Yes

>The early 70s were particularly bad years for anything that has the name Philco.

That's not good news!

The radio hasn't been working properly for a long time. Before I overhauled the engine (about 4 years ago) It sat in a field behind my house for about 12 years. I know it wasn't working before then but I don't when it did work properly. My father bought the truck in 1972. I hadn't had the radio on since I overhauled it because I didn't think it worked. I turned it on a couple of months ago and was surprised that it worked. It has worked for several days at a time but then it quits.

Thanks for your efforts!

Steve L.

Try playing the radio with out the engine running. Does your truck have transistor ignition? Unfortunately I remember very well cars of that area they designed some really STUPID things! 73 GM cars had a windshield antenna, the lead came out of the windshield unshielded and over top of the distributor, I thing they all where trying to sell FM radios, BILL

The radio does the same thing without the engine running. I don't know what a transistor ignition is so I don't know if it has one. The antenna is mounted on the top of the right quarter pannel and has a cable that goes through the fire wall and in to the radio. I tested the voltage to the radio as you suggested and it is getting 12 volts. So far, all I've done is remove the radio and the cover and blew the dust out. The dials and buttons seem to be working. Then I plugged in the speaker, antenna, and power with the engine off and nothing changed.

I really appreciate your input.

Steve L.

Check your antenna, you got a VOM, check for continuity , unplug the antenna, open mast to ground, center plug to mast continuity, shield to ground ,continuity center plug to shield open, years ago I repaired a Pontiac Astra radio, complaint was no stations unless you where by the radio transmiter found a broken antenna coil, as junky as thing where in the 70's for the most part, the radios out lasted the car! Back then I drove a 1953 Chevrolet ,a real car! ,BILL

mast to ground- no current
center plug to mast - 5 ohms
shield to ground - no current
center plug to shield - no current

That 1953 Cevy sounds great. I drove my grandfather's '55 ford farlane for a while - I wish I still had it!

Thanks,
Steve

Shield should be grounded, try a known good antenna,BILL

I probably don't understand where to connect the probes on the Volt Ohm Meter. I made the connections with the antenna wire unplugged. When it's plugged in the shield is grounded.

The local parts store owner was nice enough to let me try plugging in a new antenna. He also told me to make sure the antenna was grounded. After plugging in the antenna to the radio I connected a wire from the base of the antenna on the part that holds the antenna to the truck to a bare piece of metal. I got the same results with the new antenna that I got with my old one.

I have wanted to eliminate the antenna as a possibility before so once while I was getting reception I moved the antenna around (it has a spring base) and bumped the antenna and let it bouce around to see if there was a loose connection that would interrrupt the signal. The radio worked fine through it all.

I noticed yesterday and today with the new antenna connected that I was able to get a weak garbled voice at one place on the dial. It seems to be picking something up but not the strong AM station I usually can count on. I was sitting on the passenger side with the door open and reached out and touched the antenna and that made the radio quiet and when I let go it started making noise again so I know the antenna is doing something.

I really appreciate all of your help.

Steve L.

OK you may very well have an open antenna or RF coil part of the tuner or a may be a bad elctrolic? a electrolytic the original usually is a three part ,can be made up with singles, as far as a tuner assembly, lots of luck on finding a new one , you can find more parts for radios built in the 30's than you can find parts for radio built in the 70's try your local junk yards or ebay usually these radios are CHEAP to buy ,not sure if I'd have one or not ,BILL

Bill,

Thanks for all of your help. I'll start with looking in a junk yard.

Steve L.

I lightly pushed a bunch of things with a pencil eraser as suggested by someone and the radio started working. It worked fine all Summer but then I noticed that it wouldn't bring in a signal on cool days. It sounded like it was between stations wherever the dial was. When the heater is on for long enough or it's warm outside it works fine again. I'm guessing that there is a wire that is barely connected and contracts on cool days causing it to lose it's connection. I've heard of fair weather friends before but never a fair weather radio!