Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-290X

Hello Everyone;
  Someone has contacted me regarding a model 41-290X, or perhaps the Canadian equivalent, that they want to sell. The gallery and the service literature, in assuming that the Canadian version is the same, states that this is a ten tube set similar to a 41-280, but with a proper phase inverter tube, I can't remember what the tenth tube is for. In any event are these sets noticeably better performers then a 41-280, the audio amp should be slightly better at least? I would guess that they have most of the same problems as a 41-280, such as failing output transformers, deteriorating Tenite plastic, and the ubiquitous rubber/gutta percha covered wire, are there any other fun things that this model suffers from? Does the cabinet use any faux finish or is it all real wood grain?
Regards
Arran

Arran

The Canadian equivalent to the 41-290 is the 43 or 43A. The Canadian version would be preferred as it would only have rubber-covered leads coming from the IF transformers; the rest of the wiring, as you know, would be higher quality cloth-covered.

I seem to recall having at least one 41-290 cross my bench at some time in the past, and I don't think it really performed much better than a 41-280, if at all. The tenth tube is a 37 used as a phase inverter, so the 290/43 doesn't have that trick screen phase inversion method used in so many later Philco sets with push-pull output tubes.

Yes, a 43 would probably have many of the same issues as a 41-290 that you named such as Tenite escutcheons and failing audio output transformers. The wiring would be mostly better as I mentioned above.

No photofinish on the cabinet that I recall.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(08-28-2016, 07:10 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Arran

The Canadian equivalent to the 41-290 is the 43 or 43A. The Canadian version would be preferred as it would only have rubber-covered leads coming from the IF transformers; the rest of the wiring, as you know, would be higher quality cloth-covered.

I seem to recall having at least one 41-290 cross my bench at some time in the past, and I don't think it really performed much better than a 41-280, if at all. The tenth tube is a 37 used as a phase inverter, so the 290/43 doesn't have that trick screen phase inversion method used in so many later Philco sets with push-pull output tubes.

Yes, a 43 would probably have many of the same issues as a 41-290 that you named such as Tenite escutcheons and failing audio output transformers. The wiring would be mostly better as I mentioned above.

No photofinish on the cabinet that I recall.

Ron;
  I found an ad for a Canadian model 43 on a non Philcoradio dot com website we all know, except they call it a 43X. But rather then linking to that Swiss site with stolen and pirated content I looked up the source of the ad, Winnipeg Tribune, December, 14, 1940:

http://digitalcollections.lib.umanitoba....%3A1340311

What is neat is that they have a radio program schedule posted on the same page. But here is a larger ad, which includes several local dealers in the Winnipeg area, some of the other sets look like Philco Tropic clones, or the Tropics are clones of these:

http://digitalcollections.lib.umanitoba....%3A1340572

Regards
Arran