Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 16 / Model 500

Well I lucked out (I think!) and found one of my bucket list Philco's. A model 16. It just appeared on eBay tonight, with a make offer option, and my (considerably lower) offer was quickly accepted. So I haven't got it yet but am trying to find out what exactly I have:

Now based on the item description, and what I can make out on the rather dark and curled cabinet label, it says "Model 16 (Code 12?) / Model 500 (Code 123)" I can't make out the last digit of the code on the model 16 part. But it definitely just says Model 16 with no 'B' suffix (not "16B").

Can anyone enlighten me on exactly what I have and which schematic I should be working off of? I hope this isn't one of those 32 volt farm orphans like I just finished! Icon_lol

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Looks like you have this one.
http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1935b.htm#a
I think yours is a four band based on the 4 dial lights I see in the chassis.
The code # looks like 123.
Congrats on your find it should be a good player.

A quick follow up. On nostalgia air they do show this 16 A - 123 that is a 25 cycle.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...013144.pdf

It's a Model 16 Code 125 (4-band).

16 Code 121 - 5-band, 80 rectifier, in cathedral and the first Deco tombstone cabinet
16 Code 122 - 5-band, console versions, 5Z3 rectifier
16 Code 123 - 5-band, 5Z3 rectifier, chairside model, upside-down dial scale

16 Code 125 - 4-band, 80 rectifier, tombstones (both Deco and flat-top)
16 Code 126 - 4-band, 5Z3 rectifier, console versions
16 Code 127 - 4-band, 5Z3 rectifier, chairside model, upside-down dial scale

500 (1933-34) - 16 Code 122 chassis, manual record player
500X (1935) - Early production uses 16-122 chassis, later models 16-126 chassis; manual record player
501X (1935) - Early production uses 16-122 chassis, later models 16-126 chassis; automatic record player, same cabinet as 1935 500X

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks so much, Ron. I appreciate your help.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

The good news is, I received the radio yesterday. The bad news, despite my pleas and suggestions on how to properly pack such a huge heavy radio (even offering to pay the extra for shipping), the seller opted for one oversized uhaul box and those clear plastic air packs for packing material. The radio took a couple of hard hits....the shadow meter was knocked loose and the bulb assembly behind it looked like this (the tuning knobs were knocked off the shaft and were rolling around in the box):

The back of the chassis took a hit hard enough to dent it in and bow the 'lytic cans outward:

This was the box...

So now I wait until after the holiday to see what the seller is going to do about it. I sent three messages already stating what I've found with pictures to back it up. I do feel a partial refund is in order, because the listing also stated the radio "works great tunes stations and speaker sounds great". Not possible. The 80 rectifier tube was dead. There was a big dark burn spot on top of the glass, so it obviously was shorted out long before I got it.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org