Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-690

I've been offered a 38-690 at a very low price. Don't know too much about condition, but I'm wondering about what repro parts are available for this model. First, I've not been able to locate a reproduction dial for it. I see one at Radiodaze for the 37-690, but the 38-690 isn't mentioned. Anyone know if there is a dial available? Also, am I dealing with photo finish on the cabinet? Finally, any opinions on this set? Obviously was high end back in the day, but is it worth restoring?

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

37-690s and 38-690s are generally thought of as the best sets Philco produced so a low price (depending on what low is) for one is a good deal unless its simply unrestorable.  I've never had the chance to work on one so some of the folks who have real experiences with them should chime in.  

No, there is not any photofinish on those sets...all veneer.  For future reference here's a list of sets with photofinish that Ron put together: http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...9#pid33789

I don't know about the dial, but if they (Radiodaze) don't have it, they can probably make one.  The other source is Mark Oppat http://www.oldradioparts.net/dials1.html  but he has not found a source for the amber dial materials and his 38-690 is out of stock.  

Thanks for the info. I know that Mark was doing these dials along with Radiodaze, and I had heard that the amber material was gone. I don't know the overall condition of the set yet, so I'm just gathering some preliminary info. I'll hopefully be seeing the radio this week, so I'll know more once I get the chance to look it over.

I believe that the dial is the same as a 38-116, which would make sense since the RF sub chassis is the same apparently depending on which code number of 38-116 RF deck matches up with the 38-690. I think that the main difference between a 38-690 and a 38-116 is in the audio amp and power supply stuff, which is a good place to begin the electrical restoration I think.
Regards
Arran