Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 50 (early) cabinet restoration

Dont you love when that happens....
Grain filling is a true pain... I have filled a radio 4 times and still come out with a few spots.. I use the light test. I look just over the horizon of the radio against the sun or a good light. Then you can see the grains... Remember you can grain fill after lacquer. I dont but you "can"....

Looks good.. Cant wait for the next episode Icon_lol

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Did some more grain filling, another round of gloss lacquer and some rub out.  The cabinet has some dings and  nicks but I think it came out looking decent compared to where it started.  Its on my desk playing 50's tunes.  I couldn't take watching the Phillies any longer...

[Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbps2gd5y3u0mr....jpg?raw=1]

Nice job Bob. Icon_thumbup 

It looks like Philco 21.
Very nice looking radio.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Very nice job Bob!!

It is A+ friend...   Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

VERY NICE,,,,,Maybe Next year for the aphillies,,oh ya,,Howald is retiring,,,Sunday

It looks nice other then the dents in the bottom molding, but still looks much better then what you started with, and it's a fairly rare variant to boot. I wish that you would have mentioned the nicks and dings earlier, or maybe you did, because I would have suggested steaming them out by placing a hot iron (or soldering gun) on a damp rag or paper towel placed over the dent. I learned about this trick in a book, it comes in handy with cleaning up the molding along the base on a fully skirted console where things like kids toys are always banging into them and leaving dents. It doesn't always work 100% but it usually helps, and it looks and works better then wood putty.
Regards
Arran

Thanks Arran, I'll use that technique on the next one!