Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

610B Cabinet repair/restore

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie when it comes to radio restoration.  I was an electronic technician in the NAVY and I used to work on HF Transceivers so I am at home with doing electronic repairs.  However, my experience is zero when it comes to cabinet repair.  I just bought a 610B (1936) and It needs some help.  Overall, the veneer is in good shape, with some chips here and there; I hope I look as good when I hit 80!  The issue is that he cabinet is pulling apart.  You can see where someone had attempted to glue together the box from the inside.  The face of the cabinet appears to be delaminating from the back side.  See pictures.  Any suggestions?

Attached Files Image(s)

Pop off what trim and molding you can. Noting that was poorly re-glued. For the back edge where the lip is pulling away, Inject some wood glue and clamp. It looks like there is missing trim around the arch. You can add it back on or I have seen people remove what was left and match the color of the underwood... Not a real true restoration step though...

PM me your address.
I'll send you the knob you need..

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Devin, you can see from the post from OldRestorer he has been electrocuted a number of times. However, you can't find a better mentor for wood work and cabinet restoration. He does increadible work. Don't send him a chassis for restoration as we hate to see his count on being shocked increased. We need him here.
Enjoy your adventure and welcome to the Phorum.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

(09-06-2016, 07:25 AM)Devin ET2 Wrote:  Hello everyone, I'm a newbie when it comes to radio restoration.  I was an electronic technician in the NAVY and I used to work on HF Transceivers so I am at home with doing electronic repairs.  However, my experience is zero when it comes to cabinet repair.  I just bought a 610B (1936) and It needs some help.  Overall, the veneer is in good shape, with some chips here and there; I hope I look as good when I hit 80!  The issue is that he cabinet is pulling apart.  You can see where someone had attempted to glue together the box from the inside.  The face of the cabinet appears to be delaminating from the back side.  See pictures.  Any suggestions?

I can refinish your radio cabinet to like new condition. Send me a PM if you can and work out a deal. I've done many many radio cabinets.

Fred does fantastic work as well.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

I can speak for Fred, A#1 job on cabinets. Icon_clap Icon_thumbup

Paul 

Tubetalk1

(09-06-2016, 11:44 AM)OldRestorer Wrote:  Pop off what trim and molding you can. Noting that was poorly re-glued. For the back edge where the lip is pulling away, Inject some wood glue and clamp. It looks like there is missing trim around the arch. You can add it back on or I have seen people remove what was left and match the color of the underwood... Not a real true restoration step though...

PM me your address.
I'll send you the knob you need..

My first thought was to remove the remaining trim around the arch and match the color.  However, I'm in no rush and would rather do a complete restore job.  Would I have to find replacement trim or do I fabricate the missing piece?  Thank you for the offer but I have the knob for the radio; I just forgot to put it on for the picture.