Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 16B (Early Version) - Help Identify Correct Knobs

Last week I purchased a Philco 16B (tombstone, early version) from a local radio enthusiast who is culling his life-long collection. An unusual find in southern California!

The radio is missing all four hex knobs. Yesterday I received three hex knobs from the seller. I’d like to know if these knobs match the original knobs. I also have questions regarding the missing fourth knob (tuning).

FYI, the early 16B has one top knob for tuning. The two outer bottom knobs are for volume and tone. The center bottom knob is for band switch. In a past post, Ron stated, “The tuning knob should be a large hex knob, with a set screw so that the two-speed tuning of the 16-121 chassis can be accomplished easily. The band switch knob should also be a large hex knob. The volume and tone knobs are small hex knobs.”

Bottom Knobs: The three knobs from the seller are black with spring fasteners (no set screws). Two measure 7/8-inch from vertex to vertex (or point to point, as opposed to flat edge to flat edge). The large knob measures 1 1/8 inch. The seller’s knobs look like those in the eBay photo below. Are the seller’s knobs the correct color and size?

Tuning Knob: I’ve seen two types of tuning knobs online. One type looks like the knob with the set screw in the photo below (top photo, second from left; bottom photo top left)). Note that the back of the knob tapers. (This knob matches the tuning knob on my early production 144B. I wonder if they have the same part number.) The other type looks like the large hex knob in the photo below but with a set screw. Which is the correct knob?

Please dust off your early 16Bs and let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Attached Files
.pdf Philco 16B Knobs.pdf Size: 172.31 KB  Downloads: 156

I don't own one of these sets but from what I read the earlier tombstone version used a two speed tuning mechanism where you would pull out the knob for fine tuning, all the later versions of the 16/116 used two concentric knobs with the center knob used for fine tuning, so it would make sense that it would have a set screw to hold it on the shaft for the earlier type. I couldn't tell you whether the large hex knob with the set screw or the smaller one with the tapered back and and set screw is the proper knob.
Regards
Arran

The early 5-band tombstone used the hex knobs you described. Finding a large one with the screw is tough but do-able. 

The later 4-band 16s utilized the "dual drive" tuning, interesting in that I have seen sets with a combination of the earlier and later hex knobs on them, and some with the later hex only. 

(09-16-2016, 11:06 PM)Allen in SB Wrote:  ...I’ve seen two types of tuning knobs online. ...Note that the back of the knob tapers. ...The other type looks like the large hex knob in the photo below but with a set screw. Which is the correct knob?

Either one is correct for the 5-band 16B tombstone (and 1935 model 16 consoles with 5-band chassis).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(10-07-2016, 08:35 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  
(09-16-2016, 11:06 PM)Allen in SB Wrote:  ...I’ve seen two types of tuning knobs online. ...Note that the back of the knob tapers. ...The other type looks like the large hex knob in the photo below but with a set screw. Which is the correct knob?

Either one is correct for the 5-band 16B tombstone (and 1935 model 16 consoles with 5-band chassis).

Hello Ron and TA:

Thanks for your helpful replies. I contacted Dave Frush from the "Philco Resources." He had a large knob with a set screw. It's in the mail, so I'm set for knobs. Icon_thumbup

Thanks!

Allen