Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 680 cabinet.

Planning to refinish a 680 cabinet. I read in this Phoroum that Philco did not use stain on their finishes. What did they use?  What shade is correct for the 680 and where can one get it? Thanks in advance. Norman

(09-27-2016, 08:15 PM)vaguy22 Wrote:  Planning to refinish a 680 cabinet. I read in this Phoroum that Philco did not use stain on their finishes. What did they use?  What shade is correct for the 680 and where can one get it? Thanks in advance. Norman

Hi;
  No they did not use stains on their finishes they used tinted lacquers. Oil stains don't really work at all on the white woods that Philco and other manufacturers used in their cabinets, wood dyes would work somewhat but you would still need to go over these area with tinted lacquer to even out the colour. Companies such as Mohawk and Deft market tinted lacquer in spray cans, but there may be others, as to what shades to use I don't own a 680 cabinet so I don't know for certain, but to me the pallet looks similar to a 116X.
Regards
Arran

http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/catalog_...?ictNbr=22

The ultra classic toners are dye based and will allow more of the wood grain pattern to show through.  The other toner type is pigment based and a bit more opaque.  The guys that do the serious refinishing use spray guns and mix their own tones.  

Deft clear gloss lacquer is used over top of the toner, and is found in most hardware or big box home centers.  It takes some practice to get the coating looking decent.  

As for colors for the 680 I'll have to let others comment.

Thank you both for the info  will look into the Mohawk stuff. Norman

Medium Walnut would be the proper color for the majority of the cabinet, with Extra Dark Walnut on certain trim areas where it is darker as shown in photographs of the 680 cabinets.

However...

A large console cabinet would be very difficult to properly spray with rattle cans. For a large cabinet such as yours, it would be best to use a spray gun setup. Which means that you would have to mix your own toners. Might be more trouble than it's worth for one cabinet, and may be time to call in a professional. Just my thoughts.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you Mr. Ramirez for the advice. My budjet is insufficent to afford a professional refinsher. will look into the Medium walnut from Mohawk. Regards  Norman

I hear you...mine too...I therefore strongly suggest that you invest in the fan spray nozzles, also available from Mohawk, for their spray cans. (I need to get some as well.)

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks, Ron. will call Mohawk soon and find out about the nozzles. Norman

See
http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/catalog_...ictNbr=502

Thanks, Klondike.  Norman