Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Couple of Nationals for Terry

Two National WW2 era Naval receivers I recently restored. 

One on the left is an RBH. it is based on a NC 100 set, but has an additional RF stage and one 6K6 output tube for a total of 11 tubes. 
It features an IF of 1500KHz, so the frequency coverage of the set is 300-600KHz, 600-1200KHz, then it jumps to 1700-3900KHz, 3.6 MHz to 8.2MHz, and 8.0 to 17 MHz. 

One on the right is an RAO. Since the IF is the more common 455 KHz, it covers the entire broadcast band and shortwave to 30 MHz in five bands. The tube line-up is the same as the RBH. 

Both sets have a LARGE square box full of coils that slides under the chassis, the band switch controls where the contacts in the box meet those under the chassis. Oh yes, and because the Navy wanted the extra RF stage added, they both have an additional section to the tuning capacitor and a corresponding but smaller "box" that slides under an addition to the chassis/cabinet. 
SO... both of these dimensionally small radios weigh about 70 ______-ing pounds. 

Wow, Really neat looking.. Any clue where they were used?

I have a big old one a RCH I think.. Here is a picture..

[Image: http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm38/...xor1cg.jpg]

Skip...

I had a National NC 100 set very similar to those two in appearance, it was an NC100ASD which was apparently built for the U.S Army. However unlike the two sets featured it only had the top end of the AM broadcast band covered which annoyed me, I ended up trading it off for some other sets over 20 years ago. I sort of wish that I would have kept it though in some ways I'm glad I didn't in that there is another NC100 I would like more that has a sort of oriental look about the cabinet.
Regards
Arran

Hey Tom,
Long time no post!!!
I had a RAO (oh my back) 7 a few years ago. Need a lot of work and gave to a friend. Designed to drive fones so the output stage is a bit wimpy to drive a 600 ohm spkr. The military was concerned abt rf radiation from the local osc and being tracked down by DF equipment so the rf amp was added to cut down on the radiation. Plus that stinken heavy steel cabinet. Still have a few sliding catacomb sets  NC-81, NC-100X and a NC-200. I'm getting to the place I can't pick those heavy sets up anymore. The HRO's are nice as everything is separate, p/s, spkr, coils so the set it self is pretty manageable for me. The SW-3's are even better there only abt 10#s.
Hope all is well in Clayton. Didn't see you when you might have been up in my neck of the woods a couples of weeks ago.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

This all applies to the Scot SLR-H I just finished. Nice radio as long as you can get somebody else to lift it onto the bench.

Scroll down:
http://www.russoldradios.com/blog

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Oh good,

Tom... I have another Weston book I picked up this week at a swap.
If you want it, message me your address so I can send it out.
Kirk

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Too cool, Kirk!! I'll PM you. 

Never had an SLR but I did have a Scott RBO, fortunately a good friend was getting into Scotts, and in fact, had an SLR in his vehicle when he came for a visit. SOOOO...... I insisted that he take the RBO, all 113 lbs of it, with him. 

Although Philco is still my "comfort food," I have been doing a lot of Ham receivers lately. (But at this time I have a Philco 200X chassis on the bench and it is putting up a good fight) Anyway, the WW2 military receivers are pretty good sets. Even the National RAO and RBH, while they do not have great audio, are very good receivers. I also have an RBL, which covers 25KHz to 630KHz in 5 bands. Pretty useless coverage, but an interesting set. It is a very advanced TRF with a regenerative detector. I suspect it was for use on submarines. It looks very similar to the two sets in the pics. Which reminds me, I really need to get better at photography, as both sets have fresh krinkle paint on them and actually look pretty spiffy. 

And now, for a parting thought..... friends don't drive friends to drinking. Or something like that.