Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 835

Hi gang:

It is Columbus day today in Massachusetts, state Holiday. I am off and though there are a hundred more important things to do around the house I was sorting through some radios......

I have this Zenith     

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/zenith_high...b835e.html

It will need the selenium rectifier removed, tubes tested, lytictics done, etc......

It should sound nice, however the case has some real wood on the molding but the top and sides are some kinda mystery finish, a 1950's photo finish maybe? The top has a good scrape about a quarter in size. Just really enough to be obvious, a doilly perhaps? Anyway, someone know what this "covering" is. Contact paper could be an improvement!

The fabric front is OK, got cleaned up, this thing has a light in it, H51 on the base and I guess it lights up near one of the controls, although I cant see where the indicator would glow through the fabric, maybe the hole is full of crud. Has a large midrange and 2 tweeters, looks like the quality went in before the name went on, at least the chassis.

I cannot locate my camera either, so I have no photo for you today.

Anybody familiar with one of these sets?

Thanks. 

Paul 

Tubetalk1

Got some photos on this thing, you can see the problem with the finish on top, looks like some kind of faux finish, not solid wood or veneer. Any thoughts? It is not that big an area, maybe I shall ignore it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92577012@N...6008193006

Paul 

Tubetalk1

I have one and yes, It is a hardboard cabinet with a faux finish.

My simple fix... I sold it, Icon_lol
BUT, I did get a real nice woodgrain faux finish. It is not contact paper as far as i can see.
It is thinner and more detailed... I never got to try it out but if you would like to try it, let me know...

Otherwise you can just make your own. I did my Philco lamp right on my computer. Took a woodgrain photo online and printed it on paper. Looks real nice to me...

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6