Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1932 Simplex Model N in Green/White

I've picked up a few of these sets over the years and thought I would consolidate the various bits and pieces. One one these is a cabinet that has a fair a mount veneer damage and was painted first white then green. Ended up scraping it down w/a snap blade knife to get the white off. Still need to clean it up with some oms to remove the left over white. They would be considered midgets as they are about half the size of a Philco 20 or 21.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/53710524@N...ateposted/

Attached Files Image(s)

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

You still haven't put the vacuum away? Icon_lol

looks good Terry.. Be careful with that veneer

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

>You still haven't put the vacuum away? [Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...on_lol.gif]
Heck no! That's my portable test antenna!!!!

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

After doing a bit more cleaning it's looking better. Got a lot of the white film from the stripper off. That white paint is tough stuff! I think I'm going to up my game and try some mek to loosen up what's left. I have an original cabinet w/what I think is the original finish and it's pretty dark. If worst comes to worst I'll just add a little brown color over the white (mostly in the scroll work)

Did you see the chassis?? It's no prize either. A bit rusty. Will remove the power transformer and rf coil. Then after removing the rivets I can drop everything else from the bottom. Clean up the rust and paint and do the electronics.Will end up being a sort of long term project. Fortunately it's a pretty simple set 4 tubes/TRF BCB/1sw band.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...043253.pdf
 After this one there are two more to go!

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Chassis looks good..... Icon_rolleyes
You should have no problem.. I would send it out to my guy, Icon_lol

Me

As of 1/01/2021

Have been making some slow progress. When the three Mousegeteers came over a couple of weeks ago Sam was kind enough to leave me a signal generator to fix oh I mean he was kind enough to leave me some salvaged veneer which I was able to render some useful pieces to apply to this project. Kirk brought some nice new veneer but it paper backed and is too thick for this job. It's hard to tell but there was a lot of small repair work to be done. A lot of the grille was delaminated and missing some pieces. Patches on the arch, surround, and front panel. Have a little more work to do before I can apply the patch on the front but have roughed it out in veneer.

Am thinking about the next big project have a few to chose from: 200X, 16 chsde, 116X, 116P, and 41-300. A while back I picked up a WRL Globe Scout 40A (read small ham transmitter) have been tinkering w/it am waiting for some parts to come in.

The old 660L has been playing some Christmas tunes like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsBTRaDrrXk

Merry Christmas All!!

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

"A bit rusty" is a very accurate statement.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Looking good my friend!

As of 1/01/2021