Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hi-Fi tube amp kit from China

...Bozak B-302A (they were made in various style cabinets)...you will thank me later...

Re: snipers - if there is an item I really, really want...and if I am able to sit at the computer as it is ending..I'll bid manually in the closing seconds as well as setting a snipe. I too have had the sniping service fail at the last second so I know how it feels.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I have no connection to this seller what so ever but these would be a truly spectacular set of speakers for the that little amp of yours, and they are purdy to! Price is crazy but they would be fun to try out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-Corona-832...2265458767

Gregb

Nice Icon_thumbup Unfortunatly out of my budget. Maybe someyear...

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

I don't think you can use these anyway. Same reason why I cannot use Clipshorns. If the shape is for a reason, the reason is likely they are a folded horn for the woofers and need corner placement, and in small space these wont work properly. You should use so ething like what Ron suggested, or like my Cornwalls. If it is class A, you should not use compression speakers either. The power of your amp won't be enough..

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Those are most certainly corner speakers and they have a muticell horn with standard front facing woofers. There were made in the early 60's so would have been designed for use with a tube amp. If a person has the space I think they would be worth a listen. Not that I would spend that much to try but if I had the chance to audition them I would love to give them a try. I have a number of different tube amps ranging from 10 watts up to 70 watts and its fun to try different speakers with different amps to see how they work together, some work really well and others don't.

Gregb

(02-04-2017, 08:28 PM)gregb Wrote:  If a person has the space I think they would be worth a listen. 
Yep, exactly. As Tim said, 

>Need something fairly small, yet good sounding and efficient. I don't have room for anything too big. 

I myself would use Klipshorns if I had space. Which I don't.

Tim needs sensitive speakers; old 70s, ir even better, 60s, with some horn loaded midrange and tweeter speakers and big woofer will work in smaller spaces like a bedroom of a typical size of 12x12, and are very efficient in their dB/W ratings, over 30dB difference vs modern speakers.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(10-31-2016, 09:49 PM)morzh Wrote:  Tim

1. I think should be in parallel. Make sure they are not in counter phase. Icon_smile No blowups just no output either.
2. If it sounds fine and no noise, no caps needed. If you suspect they help, then leave them in.
3.maybe check clwmshell? Gotta connect somewhere.
I'm thinking that green/yellow wire likely connects to a copper shield inside the clamshell.

What is with the 830uF cap? Seems like something that big would really put a stress on the rectifier (though, I suppose it would help with keeping heavy bass from swamping the power supply..)

It doesn't stress anything: the rectifier is solid state and can handle even larger capacitance.
The reasons the older tube radios didn't use these include the tube rectifier limit on output capacitance and larger values simply not being available at the time. Once you put SS diodes in, then filter away to your heart's content.

Actually this is a tube rectifier on this circuit. It is a 330uf cap I believe and I do think that this helps the amp kick like it does. It has way more punch than I originally thought it would. I don't think it would stress anything. The 5Z4 is an indirectly heated cathode. I looked this up in the RCA manual and it is similar to a 5Y3GT. It warms up slower than a filament, so that may help avoid surge. I did connect the green/yellow transformer wire to ground. It may be like you said, Brenda, a shield. I left the line caps in. I didn't think they would hurt anything. I get a lot of noise in our power supply out here. We are at the end of a line. Yea, I live in the middle of nowhere Icon_biggrin

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

5Z4 allows the max of 40uF.

What are those diodes next to the cap?

And actually, is ths large can cap the filter cap?
Or is the axial 47uF next to the power xfmr is?

Is there a sch link?

Looks to me like that 330uf cap is connected to a couple of SS diodes, it is most likely a filter cap for a DC filament circuit. trying to keep the hum to as low a level as possible.

Gregb

Greg, I believe the 330 uF is the second filter cap after the choke. The first filter at the rectifier cathode is the 47 uF.

It might be the two diodes are zeners to drop the voltage for the screen supply of the output tubes or B+for the 6SN7 input stage. There are two small 22 uF 450V radial caps nearby.

The filaments are run off AC directly from the power transformer.

The sch would answer it all.

Yes it would!

Gregb