Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco glasses or not?

I got these with the bar.. Half are legit but the other half I cant figure out. 
I have seen a bar with these round glasses but are they Philco??
Also the flasks and tongs.. Real or not?

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

One thing: since the Philco was not the one who made them, what does "legitimate" even mean here?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Are they original to the radiobar..
I am thinking not now. They dont fit the holes provided... Icon_sad

As of 1/01/2021

If they hold the booze that's all one needs.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

They do.. Icon_lol

I am only missing 2 small glasses, 2 shot glasses, and The scotch decanter...
I am still looking for that darn ice bucket...!

As of 1/01/2021

I believe the glasses with the silver band around the rim are (or may be) Dorothy Thorpe glasses, not Radiobar. They certainly look like Dorothy Thorpe glasses.

Google "Dorothy Thorpe" for more info. She was a designer of glassware, and her work spanned the period from the 1930s through the 1950s. 1950s Dorothy Thorpe glassware is popular among the Mid Century Modern aficionados...which is the only reason I know about them. Her glassware was also shown on Mad Men, which has also increased their popularity.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

It does look like it..

Thanks all...!

Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

As of 1/01/2021

Kirk;
  If the glassware in question does not fit any of the holes in the bar then they clearly don't belong with it. Although you could have some glassware that would fit the holes and still not be original. With regard to the Dorothy Thorpe glassware, it would not surprise me if the hucksters on fleabay and craigslist were trying to hawk that stuff as well as every other random  shot glass, highboy, tumbler, jug, or bottle, with gold or silver leaf, as radiobar glassware. I've even seen that in my region, and it's pretty obvious sometimes that the stuff wasn't used within ten blocks of a radiobar let alone stored in one.
Regards
Arran

Hello Kirk:

The ad for this radiobar includes photos of the glassware. Perhaps the photos will give you some insight regarding the original glassware for your radiobar.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/atq/5811517885.html

Best,

Allen

Thanks Allen,
I do know about this glassware. I thing Ron hit it on the head with the Dorothy Thorpe remark.
I wont need it so I guess it is off to Craigslist.

Me

As of 1/01/2021

(10-15-2016, 03:46 PM)morzh Wrote:  If they hold the booze that's all one needs.

Where is the milk and OJ decanters? Mine would also need an ice cream scoop.

I have several radio bars, not Philcos. I used to keep them stocked for company before I found little bugs in the tequila. Well, they probably died happy. I guess that there is enough of a gap for them to squeeze in there.

P.S. gnats not "The Worm" in the tequila.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Gnats, worms....who cares. Makes tequila taste better. )

Gnats, worms - its all extra protein!

Joe

Which brings up a question I've had for some time... how much, if any, variation was there in the glassware for Radiobars (aside from the two styles of decanter)?

I've seen several glass cocktail shakers that are listed as Radiobar, but they don't have the continuous striping down the full body of the shaker, for example...

<<EDIT>> The listing provided by Allen shows the two primary different patterns of glassware I've seen in the tumblers...