Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Silvertone 4565 Restoration

Hi all - I wanted to show off this Silvertone 4565 that I just finished restoring.

The cabinet is still the original finish (just cleaned up with gojo and wax). The finish isn't perfect (kind of dull, flaking in few spots) but still serviceable.

Before

[Image: http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w374...5hnxgl.jpg]

After

[Image: http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w374...n9z7dr.jpg]

I replaced the missing dial glass and bezel with one from another (earlier) Silvertone model. I felt pretty lucky to find one that was close in appearance to the original - although not an exact match. The replacement grille cloth carries on the spirit of the original, although it too isn't an exact match.

Electrical restoration was straight-forward. I restuffed the caps that were there, although a number appear to be replacements from long ago. I created reproduction dogbone resistors for the few that were out of tolerance. Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the finished underside this time. The one mystery that had me stumped was that there's a 1Mohm resistor in the socket of the eye tube that frequently opens up. Mine did - and the result is an eye tube that doesn't 'close' - doesn't do anything at all when tuning. Once that was replaced the eye tube indicator worked great.

Another interesting bit was the restoration of the original chassis labels. This chassis has four labels:

1. Schematic / voltages label - only had a few fragments of this one when I received the radio. Fortunately the diagrams are basically identical to what appears in Riders.

2. Parts label - mostly intact although flaking apart at the slightest touch.

3. Serial number / tube layout label - missing.

4. Chassis number label - missing.

I scanned what I had into Photoshop and looked online for other examples of the missing labels. For anyone else restoring one of these radios, here are download links

Silvertone 4565 Schematic Label.pdf
-apply to right side of chassis (facing the back of the radio)

Silvertone 4565 Parts List Label.pdf
-apply to left side of chassis (facing the back of the radio)

Silvertone 4565 Tube Layout Label.pdf
-apply to rear left side of chassis (facing the back of the radio)

Silvertone 4565 Chassis Label.pdf
-apply to rear right side of chassis (facing the back of the radio)

[Image: http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w374...etfzai.jpg]

[Image: http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w374...hh724t.jpg]

I really like the look of this Silvertone and its sibling models from 1936/1937. This was my first tuning eye radio and I have to admit I find it easier to use than the Philco shadow meters. And it just looks cool. Icon_biggrin

Nice job Nathan. Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

well done!!!
Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

Looks great my friend...!

I just got one last month and cant wait to finish restoring it... Mine has one veneer chip and it is smack on the front...
Big suckers right!

I wonder if mine has all the chassis labels??
Thanks for the hard work

Icon_clap Icon_clap

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Very nice young man! These Silvertones are great lookers and get surprising prices when sold, they seem to be in demand and people will pay. I would keep the one you have. Icon_biggrin

Paul 

Tubetalk1

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. Icon_smile

Kirk - can't wait to see yours too! Apparently there were two versions made (by different manufacturers) which can be differentiated by the chassis number as well as the dial:

Chassis 101.410 - Colonial

Chassis 100.151 - Stewart-Warner

Did yours come with the back? I'm in the process of making a reproduction back for mine. I scanned in the outline of the back of my cabinet to get dimensions, then overlaid a photo of the real back in Photoshop. And from that created a laser cutter design in Illustrator! Believe it or not it came out sized just right! I'll post more on it once I've finished it.

Looks very nice, I like it.

+1!
The only criticism is that the labels look too new being printed on white paper. Perhaps a more yellowish paper wouldn't stand out as much. But maybe you want  them to be bright and bold.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I think a yellow paper would be just a nice yellow paper. You need to age it for authenticity.
Maybe the old teabag job or something.
If it were for one of my Philco's, I would use them in white as I want them all to have a showroom look..

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Thanks! Yeah - I need to play with the aged paper thing and see if I like it better or not. Next radio I guess. Icon_smile