Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 37-116X Project

I have not posted on this project for a while.

1. I took care of my hum problem with the dial hub mute switch; it was just a question of getting the switch assembled in the proper order.

2. The dial, itself, was a lost cause. There was no salvaging what was left of the ones I had. I found the one offered by Radio Daz to be of excellent quality and translucence as good as if not equal to the original that I had.  I replaced the flex joint on the tuning condenser with a polyurethane flex joint from McMaster Carr. It fit right in with room to spare, and turns very smoothly. (The original was sealed in a plastic bag and saved.)

3. I have been working on several other projects, so have been "burning in" (I hate to use that term), the 37-116X on the bench while working. It sounds real good...until it stopped. I replaced resistor #118, a 14k resistor (1/2 watt, according to the parts list), with a 1 watt. It supplies the screens for all the 6K7s and 6L7. It worked for quite a while, but finally gave up the ghost. The original looks like a candohm, only molded in Bakelite, and riveted to the chassis. I should have put pen to paper and checked or measured the current draw thru it. It needs to be at least a 3 or 4 watt resistor. I measured the current thru it and calculated about 2.3 watts, which seems close to the calculated total for the 5 screens.  I have some 7 watt resistors on order, with the original reinstalled for now.

4. The speaker is in excellent condition, except it rattles. The adhesive or glue that secures the outer suspension to the frame seems to be breaking down and coming loose in places. Any suggestions for a suitable adhesive or glue for re securing it to the basket? I am thinking that a good long term fix is going to require removal of the old glue/adhesive? I am open to suggestions, here.

Chris H
N9WHH

Hi Chris, I have used acetone to loosen the old glue around speaker cone the edge. Apply some and let it soak in. You may have to do this a few times then use a razor to carefully lift the cone up around the frame.
As for regluing I used a glue that was acid free but can't remember its brand name. Others will surely have suggestions. Good luck.