Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Very nice Phico G1824. could use help?

Hi all,

I just picked up a nice high quality 1961 Philco console from Craigslist, and could use a bit of help.
The stereo amp has nice push pull EL84 outputs and a pair of 12AX7s . The reverb unit (first I've seen) is pretty unique and I can't wait to hear how it sounds. The two satellite speakers (tweeters?) are gone; all that's left is the bass channel. 
Anyway, my questions: 
1. Can anyone help me to locate a pair of appropriate tweeters? If not, any suggestions on a make-do?
2. Are there schematics out there for this set? Not too much info to be found. 
My plan is to service the set, put it back in the cabinet and hopefully get some appropriate tweeters. It won't be broken up.

Thanks. This is a very well made, heavy and high quality amp. Knobs are heavy metal, no plastic anywhere. Can't wait to see it through.

Ted

Attached Files Image(s)

Really? There is nobody here at all, who has any information on this set?

I suspect no one has seen that set or has any info on it.  Sams photofacts has nothing that I could find.  Based on Ron's age guide this would be a 1959 set.  http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...?tid=14941

Ted

It's not like you are being ignored but this is more or less mid-century modern which very few here, if anyone at all, are interested in. Hence the lack of response.
This is one of those cases where I would encourage soliciting help on more than one forum. I'm sure there are people in the HiFi tube world who will have some expertise on this one.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

...actually...

I'll try to help. Sorry, busy with work, don't post a lot these days.

I can't answer your question #1 other than suggesting watching the auction site for something suitable...I see Philco speakers on there frequently, pulled from old Philco hi-fi/stereo consoles.

As for question #2, have you looked to see if Sams Photofacts covers this model?

https://samswebsite.com/

...nevermind...I just looked and G1824 isn't listed in their list of schematics.

As others have said, this is much newer than the average old radio being collected by people. And since it is not a high end model like a Fisher, HH Scott, Sherwood, Marantz, Dynaco, etc., there is not much interest in the Philco stereo/hi-fi equipment, thus little info out there.

Someone probably has an original service manual. I'll look tonight if I don't forget. I have some Philco service literature through the early 1960s, but by no means is it a complete set.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I did look and I do not have the G1824 service info, sorry.

Oh - as Bob said, this is a 1959 model, not 1961. G = 1959 model year.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN