Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 48-1000 TV

There are some outfits that sell veneer who have an online gallery, Albert Constantine is one to try but there are others. Just look up mahogany veneer/s and some will come up. I'm fairly certain that it was a type of mahogany that was used, the most popular type of walnut veneer in use back then was French walnut and it wasn't typically finished in that shade of brown. If in doubt strip some of the old finish off and see what it looks like.
Regards
Arran

I had been following your series over in ARF, but hadn't been in there for quite awhile. Were you successful in the electronic part of your restoration? If so, I would love to see you share a little of that info here. I am kinda surprised Kirk hasn't chimed in here, but he may be afraid of his 'shock count' rising Icon_lol  He has quite some cabinet experience here, as quite a few others. Lots of experience and help available here. You have amazed me in your determination on this project. Many others, including myself would probably have trashed it (the cabinet at least) and looked for something else similar to build on. Keep up the good work!

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

TV Man - I have gotten the electronics working pretty well.  The set powers up, and once warmed up plays well.  It's a matter now now of trying to improve the quality - fewer reception artifacts, best contrast, etc.  But if it stays just the way it is that's fine.  The picture is clear, the sound is clear, both are in perfect sync.  I continue to post to the ARF threads, so keep looking for updates there as well.
Electronics:  http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopi...3&t=269342
Cabinet: http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopi...7&t=307372
Here is a pic of it playing:

Attached Files Image(s)

Latest cabinet details:
- Received the original faceplate glass back from Radio Daze - they re-printed the gold text and decorative lines.
- Completed sanding down the remaining cabinet wood, in preparation for replacing the veneer.  I finally got the 1/16 maple veneer from Constantines, and had already gotten the 1/32 mahogany veneer from a local furniture shop.  Latest pics:

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow, that's awesome. I didn't know RadioDaze could do work like that.