Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

GE dial scale E-155

Can someone find  drawings or technical print outs of the 5 band tubular dial scale on the 1936 GE model E-155 for me to copy, thanks for any help. Fred Taylor

Attached Files Image(s)

Working on new dial scale with some help from graphics art person at a sign shop, he will recreate the scales on some frosted velum paper while constructed a new tube, I will wrap the new plastic tube with frosted velum paper. It should work just fine and hoping the red and green lights for the colorama  tuning will illuminate the frosted velum paper dial like it suppose too. I made a form out of wood to wrap the plastic to make a new tube, worked out fine, tiny screws were use instead of rivets on the plastic tube.

Attached Files Image(s)

Those are used in a lot of the GE "fish mouth" radios.

Though they are different from model to model, but, having a scan of a good one - your new one - might help in other repairs since this condition (broken) is not uncommon.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Keep us posted, Fred. I'm curious to see how this turns out!

-Rodney

Will do.

Merry Christmas everyone, finished up the dial and with some help from computer graphics guy he pieced together the 5 band scales and Walla, new dial. Test fit a bright white vellum paper sample and then I toned the vellum on a new copy to simulate aging, looks good to me but still may make another tinted a deferent tone after I see it lit up with red and green lights. What do you guys think on tinting it more of a creamy color or ?

Attached Files Image(s)

Fantastic,,,I Think,,,the white looks GGreat,,,with light ,,it will be easy to see,,,no tint,,,CHEERS

Yes definitely the white. The brown is, well, too brown. I don't think the red and greens will show up too well with the brown. It looks great! Hats off to our computer graphics person! Icon_thumbup Icon_clap

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

(12-25-2016, 08:13 PM)NostalgiaRadioTime Wrote:  Yes definitely the white. The brown is, well, too brown. I don't think the red and greens will show up too well with the brown. It looks great! Hats off to our computer graphics person! Icon_thumbup Icon_clap

Thanks, white is probably is what I will go with, just experimenting.

Nice work Fred! It's interesting that you chose to print the lettering in black.

Originally it was a translucent red, right? I would think with red light behind it, the red lettering would "fade out," while with green light behind it, the red lettering would look black. You may lose that part of the effect using black lettering.

You can sort of see in this video how the lettering seems to change color: https://youtu.be/XiqTZok5mtw

-Rodney

I will go with the white velum paper , it should show the red and green lights better the the tinted orange/brownish velum. Black ink is the only color I have to choose from should be ok. I will know when I finish the chassis, trying to find a short on a tube socket.