Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Here's what happened yesterday with my Mac

I am pretty sure this is the same guy I had some tube troubles with. A while back I bought a pair of NOS 45 tubes from this guy and once received they sure didn't look NOS and once tested in my Stark 9-66 they were not NOS. So I contact the guy and this is what he said to me, "Just because there are NOS does not mean they are any good, what do you expect from 60 year old tubes" He then proceeded to give me negative feedback.

Gregb

Ron

If it weren't for that last letter I'd probably abstain from answering altogether, despite all the profanities before and the message over regular email, but when it came it really inspired me Icon_lol

He is getting his Preparation H suppositories shipped to him tomorrow, each one individually wrapped and photographed Icon_lol (I should've mentioned that condition in the letter....maybe that's what ailing him).

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Yesterday the tubes from Jim McShane came.
Since yesterday was The Ortofon Fiasko day, I decided to try the tubes today.
Said a short tube prayer, put one channel tubes in, warmed up, listen for two mnutes, then put the other half, same thing, listened about 10pcs of Orgelbüchlein before turning it off.
Sounds wonderful.

So far (granted, will have to listen more) so good.

The tubes are CV4024, the military 12AT7. True NOS, still in org packaging, with plastic pin protector, test much better than required minimum.

Well...100% eBay rating is good, but no guarantee.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

The end of the story.

eBay decided in my favor, I got the refund yesterday when the tubes' delivery back to the seller (fast, shipped it Friday!) was confirmed. Everything including the shipping, the shipping back to the seller was at the eBay expense.

Now, day before I received the refund I got the tubes from Jim McShane that worked fine, so I wrote to the guy one last time. I thought, heck, I am not angry and he might want to sell these tubes again.
Here's my message:

"James

The information I am about to provide below is solely for your benefit. If you choose to disregard it and answer me with your standard set of expletives, that would be just fine with me, I do not react to it the way some people hope I would.

I know you are pissed, but both you and I know you are getting your tubes back.

Now. The information.

I have bought (I had to - still was needing 4 12AT7 tubes ) 4pcs of CV4024 of Jim McShane. You may know who he is, he is active on I think Audioasylum, and I was referred to him through Audiokarma. You know what 4024 is, a military grade 12AT7 by Mullard. These are true NOS fully tested tubes. Yesterday I put them in my amp and listened to it for the whole evening without any mishaps whatsoever. That should tell you something.

Now since the tubes are the ones you sold to me, and I am sure you do know a bit more about tubes and tube amps than I do, (still I am an EE with 35 years of practice and another 13 years of amateur experience, so I am not completely ignorant) - if you decide to sell them again to anyone, DO ask them if they have a Mac amp or any amp where these tubes are DC-coupled drivers for the output. Because at least two (one of them is marked by me on the wrap, and I did not give other 3 the chance) of them obviously have some CG-K leakage. In an AC coupled amp (which is how most amps are, like EICO, Dynakit etc) they might work as AC coupled stage is not critical to this particular parameter.

Best wishes".

Today, after two days, he answered. Though he wrote in capitals, it at least sounds like an acceptance speech.

"I JUST TRIED ALL THREE TUBES U SAID WERE BAD AND THEY WORKED PERFECT IN MY KOCH STUDIOTONE AMP. A HAND MADE IN FINLAND GUITAR AMP WORTH $2000.00. THEY DIDN'T BLOW ANY TUBES OR ANY FUSES. YOUR MACINTOSH HAS PROBABLY GOT A PROBLEM OR IT'S LIKE U SAID THE TUBES AREN'T RIGHT FOR YOUR AMP. SORRY."

I guess he is admitting he got his tubes back. Icon_smile And they might not be right for the Mac.

Well, that's the end of that story. Or so I hope.

G'nite, kiddies!

I feel for ya Mike! I have had some bad tube experiences too, mainly they were new USA made Westinghouse tubes (been some years ago). 12AX7 tubes. I thought I would be smart and "re-tube" my Fisher 500c. After all, those factory tubes had be weak, right??? 1st issue - noise.  A few of those tubes cracked and squeaked and made all sorts of weird sounds. I switched them into different locations, and they seemed to work better. They quieted down even more after some months of use.  The 7591a tubes - well, they didn't fare as well. I had one fail, blew the fuse. I went back to the factory tubes. That 500 used to run from the time I got home from work until I went to bed! Been finding the original 12AX7 tubes around. Gonna save those babys if they test ok.

I too have gotten weak (low) NOS tubes from Ebay. I guess just because they are new, doesn't mean they are good. Sure wont be buying tubes from that seller. I am sure he has been cheated, but he needs to know that not everyone is that way. A good attitude goes a long way. Glad things worked out for you in the end.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

If you need tubes like AX7 I can totally join the people who recommend Jim McShane.
Not cheap but he delivers what he promises.

(11-18-2016, 11:39 AM)morzh Wrote:  12AT7 / 4024 Mullard NOS is about $40 apiece.

Mike;
  Buy the Phillips or Valvo labeled 12AT7s, same tubes but a cheaper price. In spite of what the audiophools think Mullard tubes are just Phillips tubes made in a British plant with a different label. I would not be surprised if these NOS tubes that tested weak were actually used tubes that some serviceman put into the box after he replaced the tube in the amp or TV set.
Regards
Arran

Arran

Icon_smile

A little too late; it's been 5 months since' next time I might need them, hopefully won't be too soon, though I might buy some as a supply as they obviously won't get any cheaper with time.