Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Turntable Paint and Fuzz

Hi Everyone!

I recently got a 46-1203 and the turntable surface has some bad rust 'bubbles' that have emerged from the paint. The fuzz on the turntable itself has also gotten into quite bad shape.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to repair of spot-treat this? I used some hammered gold rust-oleum on my 40-185's escutcheon and it looks great. I'm sure some hammered silver would look nice on this one, but I wanted to see what experiences other people have had before I execute. Any suggestions?

Also, how can I re-do the fuzz??

Thanks in advance!!
(I hope cabinet restoration is the correct area!)

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Frazier and welcome.
The fuzz call flocking doesn't look too bad. A lot of times it's gone completely. Years ago it was common to cut out apiece of felt and place it between the platen and record. Kirk (oldrestorer) would have some sage advise on flocking and paint. He likes old record players.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Welcome to the forum, the corrosion under the paint will have to be removed by breaking the bubbles and sanding the area. Then you will need to put on some rust killer. If the damage has pitted the metal you may have to fill the defects with Bondo and spot repair. The only other way is to completely strip and repaint the turntable. Flocking is very easy but the first purchased will run you about $30 for the supplies. As Terry said, the platten looks pretty good to me. Flockit.com is good for the supplies. I do not use their glue since it is expensive. I use spray paint in a similar color to the flocking. Just spray paint the platten and apply the new flocking with the squeeze bottle they sell. You will have to scrape the old flocking off before applying any new. I usually apply two coats of flocking.

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Thank you both for your replies!
What should I use for the spot repair after I have stopped the rust? Rust-oleum hammered Copper, or is there a paint-on solution?
Also, if I do decide to strip it, how should the process go? Regular paint stripper, then the rust-oleum?
Last, which flocking would you suggest? Suede-Tex or soft-flock?

Here's what I used for paint on my 47-1230 which uses the same metal turntable base as your 46-1203:

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=5230

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Very nice! Thanks!!

Questions and answers:

What should I use for the spot repair after I have stopped the rust? 
Yes to Rust-oleum hammered (SIlver) not copper but that is mostly for a full restoration. As for a brush on you would just have to try to color match the original with oil based paints.

Also, if I do decide to strip it, how should the process go? 
You would use some good paint stripper and strip everything. Then sand lightly and wash with mineral spirits. Then prime wil metal primer. You could use the rust killer primer to save one step. They have it at Home depot in a spray. Then light coats of the finish coats.

Last, which flocking would you suggest? 
Suede tex is my favorite.

Remember that your Platten has aged and the color of the flocking has faded. You should use brown flocking but it will be a little brighter. 
 Here is a pic of the brown flocking.

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6
Thumbs Up 

You are all awesome! Thanks. I'll be sure to post the finished project!