Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-93.....so far

Finally getting some time to work on this. It belonged to my long-gone Grandparents once upon a time.

After I removed the compost pile, the chassis was pretty deeply pitted in places so I ended up glazing and painting it. (topside only)
New tube sockets are in and I'll start the fun part this evening.

Attached Files Image(s)

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." — Winston Churchill

Looks great!

How are you re-riveting the tube sockets? What tools and materials does that take?

Thank you. Do an EBay search for "3/16 eyelet setter and anvil". These tools are used a lot by leather crafters. When I get back to my work computer in the morning I'll post a link for the exact eyelets I used. These are actually just a fuzz larger in diameter than the originals.

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." — Winston Churchill

When I neeced it I went to hobby lobby. See if they have it. I found what I needed to put eyelets into the filter choke in my 16B.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Yes! very nicely done!
Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

And yes, very nice.
I wish I had a resolve to go to such extents, stripping components, wiring etc. I only can bring myself to clean and derust, then just restore as necessary.
Looks beautiful.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Fine job. Yes, fine job. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Great job. Icon_thumbup If you don't mind... What color was the paint you used on the chassis?

It's actually engine block paint. Dupli-Color engine enamel- the color is "Cast Coat Aluminum" PN DE1650. You can find it on the shelf at Advance Auto Parts.... If you have one in your area.
I also went over it with Minwax Clear Satin Lacquer.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I probably would not have gone to this extent but for the sentiment. My dad grew up with this radio and the thought of getting to hear it again made him happy.

(11-17-2016, 03:25 PM)Nathan Slingerland Wrote:  Looks great!

How are you re-riveting the tube sockets? What tools and materials does that take?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BL6...UTF8&psc=1

Last night's progress. I'm not sure if there is a set method to determine wire color for wire colors that are not listed on schematics. The power transformer and the I.F. transformers are the only things identified with specific colors on my schematic.

Time and dirt had turned all of the original wiring various shades of brown. The heater supply was the only thing I could ID positively, it appeared red....so red it is.   

Attached Files Image(s)

This might help... or might not.
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=684

Absolutely, thanks Mike.

A labor of love for sure!

Mike

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952