Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First time with a record player

Here is my new/old Philco 42-1002P. $9.99 at the local Goodwill. It looks to be an AA5 with a phonograph tacked on. It will be my first time to try to resurrect an old electric phonograph (it was actual Victor Talking Machines that got me into this at first, then I discovered buying old radios was marginally cheaper). It has the dial glass in good shape, but lacks the hardware for mounting it.

The cartridge is intact and has a needle in it. I've looked over Sly's technique for rebuilding the crystal cartridges, but I've also seen the piezo element technique, too. Any preferences?

The cabinet is in great shape except for some finish cracking and large water stain on the top. I'll have to think about that...it's a shame to lose the old decals. I'm pretty sure I have a knob around here somewhere.

How do you remove the platter? Is that piece of bent metal at the end of the platter motor actually a chassis fan?

Charlie in San Antonio

hey Charlie
nice looking phono
kirk can tell you about cart rebuilding
bent plates on bottom of motor keep motor cool
platter should just pull up. 
but I`ve had them where you have to sneak under and un bolt pull motor and platter out
then hit tip of spindle with hammer while holding platter

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

I'm excited. Do you happen to know if I can disconnect the phonograph in order to get the radio functioning and then reconnect the phonograph to work on it? Also, is there a source or substitute for the rubber on the friction drive for the turntable?

Charlie in San Antonio

Yes, you can disconnect the phonograph in order to get the radio functioning and then reconnect the phonograph to work on it. Mark the wires or make a diagram before you unsolder them so you know where they go. You'll find a lot of crumbling rubber coated wire in a rather cramped chassis on these pre-war AA5 Philco's so take your time and replace / re-sleeve them.

is there a source or substitute for the rubber on the friction drive for the turntable?

Yes, try www.TheVoiceofMusic.com. They not only have new idler wheels, but also new cartridges that work great. I use the P51-3 Ceramic mono cartridge with 3 mil sapphire needle fior 78 rpm records

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

hey Charlie
as greg  said. just disconnect 2 wires that go to the on of switch. only turns motor on
if your going to talk about restoration lets put it under correct heading
electronic for chassis
vintage hi fi  for turn table
cabinet for cabinet

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Thanks for the advice. I doubt I'll have any issues with the chassis, but I will return with questions about the turntable. Thanks for the link above, NostalgiaRadioTime.

Charlie in San Antonio