Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The gift supreme for Christmas - a PHILCO

I've had plenty of trouble with Type 75 tubes. I have had some of these which make noises like a thunderstorm which, unlike your experience, Steve, grew worse as the radio warmed up.

With this last 75 tube I put into the 18B, I removed the solder from the grid cap and then applied new solder. That has cured the problem for me in the past on many - not all, but many - of the offending Type 75 tubes. I had not done that with the first two 75 tubes I tried in this 18B. You know how it is when you are in a hurry...and I wanted to finish up this radio since it was Christmas Eve.

The first two 75 tubes exhibited a different symptom - the volume would drop slightly and the tone would change to a deeper sound. I really didn't think it was a tube problem, but after changing the 75 for the third time - and desoldering and resoldering its grid cap before installation - so far, so good.

And yes, every paper and electrolytic capacitor has been replaced including those in the tone control, as well as all but two of the resistors. One is the big "B-C" bias resistor, the other is attached to the band switch so it does not affect the audio circuit.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

That looks like a very good restoration compared to the before. When it comes to the curved portion of Philco cathedral cabinets was the veneer attached with the grain running either horizontally or vertically? I have a Philco 3118 tombstone that seems to have a similar chassis, same band coverage, sort of a decedent to the 18 I think. It has a different cabinet then all of the typical 118s I have seen, the cabinet is completely rectangular without shoulders.
Happy Christmas
Happy New Year
Arran

Hi Arran

The woodgrain on the sides and top of the 18B originally ran horizontally. As you can see in the photos, when Barry replaced it, he put it on vertically to make it easier to install, with my permission.

I used to own a 3118B that was in really poor shape. After divorce #2, I sold it to Jeremy Schotter of south central Indiana. He put up a page outlining how he restored it...

http://www.radiorestorer.com/philco3118b.html

I actually acquired the (USA) chassis from one source, the (Canadian) cabinet from another. The cabinet is Canadian all the way; they did not offer this style in the USA back in 1935.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

To think that I thought my cabinet had been abused! Mine had holes drilled in the side but not in the front panel, and not in the quantity that that poor thing had. I still have to get back to mine, one of the reasons for the holes was that the previous owner had attempted to fit a speaker from a Philco 96 floor model in the back by bolting it to a 2x4 and screwing the 2x4 into place through the sides. I know that it came out of a 96 since I also have the Philco 96 that he owned where he obviously borrowed the speaker from. So the 96 has a speaker, the 3118 does not, I think it was a 8 or 9 inch "pincushion" shaped unit.
Happy Christmas
Happy New Year

Really is a nice job Icon_wink

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

Doug Houston Wrote:Ron, how about giving me some dope on Barry Jones? Where is he located?

I have a Stromberg-Carlson 145P cabinet I need to have finished. Sounds like he knows his stuff.

Hi Doug

Apologies for not giving you this info before...Barry may be reached at

mrtruetone AT aol DOT com

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN