Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Today's finds

Today's finds. We are visiting the in-laws in Iowa City. Went to a farm house in Iowa to purchase a 46-350 that I found on Craigslist. Came home with that AND a Silvertone 7104 farm radio. Total of $40. The Silvertone uses a 2 volt "A" battery and a 90 volt "B" battery. I am looking for the cheapest solution to get this up and running. Ideas?

Thanks,
TerryMSU

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice finds! The B battery is easy... 10 9volt batteries in series will work. As for the A battery, 2 1.5 volt batteries in series and calculate a resistor to bring them down to 2 volts perhaps? I'm sure other will chime in with possibilities for you. Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

I have a lab power supply for the filaments, so that is the easy part.

Thanks,
TerryMSU

If the Silvertone does use 2 volt filament battery tubes and not 1.5 volt ones, not many sets used 2 volt tubes after 1938. The B+ supply is usually easy if it's only 90 volts, you can make a supply similar to what the 46-350 uses with a three section pi filter arrangement.
Regards
Arran

There are so many nice schematics for building a 90/1.5 powersupply. I'm certain with a few mods it could handle 2V. I have built three into a case with graphics to look pretty stock. I just didn't wish to replace batteries! Yes, it does have an A/C cord coming out.
Jerry

Here is a picture of a 90V/1.5V powersupply built into a nice box with graphics to run a farm radio.

[Image: http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129...Radio2.jpg]

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

(11-25-2016, 10:12 PM)jerryhawthorne Wrote:  There are so many nice schematics for building a 90/1.5 powersupply. I'm certain with a few mods it could handle 2V. I have built three into a case with graphics to look pretty stock. I just didn't wish to replace batteries! Yes, it does have an A/C cord coming out.
Jerry

Here is a picture of a 90V/1.5V powersupply built into a nice box with graphics to run a farm radio.

[Image: http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129...Radio2.jpg]

It looks like this is a 1.5 volt filament radio. Any recommendations for battery replacement circuitry that anyone has used? I have the background to tweak any design that shows up, but a proven design may help me to find just the right parts.

Thanks,
TerryMSU