Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1936 Philco Model 604

I was so happy to acquire this radio at Kutztown this year. From the moment I saw the 37-604 I wanted it badly.

It's art-deco tabletop bonsai and I consider it a treasure. The man I bought it from clearly has a curated museum quality collection and has had it for decades. Yet here was the big surprise for me. 

I never knew that this model was first introduced in 1936 with a different chassis. The seller said that in 35 years he has never seen another one. I assume that it is very rare. The other one I know of is owned by a major major Philco collector in California. 

This was a big investment yet I feel the seller did give me a more than fair deal. Even less than an impeccable 1937 offered sometimes on ebay. Feels great to earn the money to buy something like this.

Ian M. Gordon
NEARC
HARPS
NJARC

Attached Files Image(s)

Very nice. Icon_thumbup Like that style of cabinet.

Congrats on your acquisition!

As there is no such thing as a 36-604 (it is simply a model 604, also known as 604C), I changed the title of this thread. Icon_smile

I own a 604 also. All original. Or, it was until someone got into the chassis and was unable to make it play properly again (me). I might tackle it again this winter. Or not. We shall see.

Differences between 604 and 37-604:

604 uses standard base tubes. 37-604 uses octals.
604 has a slightly different front end with less screws on the antenna terminal board. 37-604 has more screws on the antenna terminal board.

Otherwise I believe they are identical. I will have to compare the schematics again and see.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

My thanks for your support Ron.

Ian M. Gordon
NEARC
HARPS
NJARC

Between the 604 and 37-604C and the 2yr run about 10,000 where made don't know if it qualifies for the rare status. But kwel set none the less. Works well on SW with good sensitivity. Is a little fiddly to service as the rf coils are mounted at the very top of the chassis. If you turn the chassis upside down to service the coils are the first to touch the bench. And it uses a bias cell (small battery).

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I am glad you got one finally Ian. I was super lucky to get one a few years ago for a steal.
I restored the chassis last winter but I am debating restoring the cabinet..
Your cabinet looks real nice. Was it refinished or is that mirror finish a restoration?

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

What's a reasonable price for this radio in a good condition?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Unrestored, $75-125. Restored/working, $150-250. My guess. YMMV. Others may have differing opinions, and that's okay too. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The last one that went on eBay was a bit above $200 and I let it go. There is one, a 604, there for $299 right now, restored, according to the seller.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

eBay prices do not always reflect reality. Especially the $100 cathedrals with a BIN price of $499. Icon_rolleyes

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(11-29-2016, 09:11 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  eBay prices do not always reflect reality. Especially the $100 cathedrals with a BIN price of $499. Icon_rolleyes

My 604 was refinished and I feel it was done in the spirit of original appearance. The 37-604 is rarer than I honestly think people assume. They may be many in existence but are in permanent collections. I sought that radio since 2013 and I may have seen only 6 - 8 come up for sale in that time and never a 604 until Kutztown. Obviously it was the art that drove me to it and not investment value. Nice to see one available. In my case, my skills lack so I am happy to pay a bit more for a correct and standout version. As I have also noticed in this hobby that radios evasive for years suddenly appear in multiple amounts. It's all timing I guess.

Ian M. Gordon
NEARC
HARPS
NJARC

Ian

No argument that if you see a thing you really would like to have and in your eyes it is worth something, and you can afford it, you should then pay the price.

If this is the radio that made you happy and the price did not bring up the worst parsimonious feelings in you, then I say it is money well spent.

I just spend a bit more than I think it is worth on a Thorens TD-124 turntable that I am yet to clean and lube and.....I wanted that, I had the money for it, I bought it, I am happy and the rest is immaterial.

Congrats on your purchase.

Agree 100% with Mike's comments. Icon_thumbup

Ian, since you brought up the fact that the cabinet on your set had been refinished...

I knew that it had to have been refinished, but I didn't want to say anything to avoid the appearance of "nit-picking." But since you mentioned it...

How did I know?

The refinisher did not use the proper PHILCO decal.

He should have used DCL-PH8. (Although...looking at their PH8 on their web page, it looks like they have reverted to their earlier, incorrect font. I hope not.) Anyway, if RD is still using the PH8 that I helped them correct, it is the proper decal for 1932-1936 Philcos and has the proper font.

The decal on yours is a 1937 and newer style.

It is apparent to me, based on the number of refinished Philco cabinets I have seen with incorrect decals, that I must be the only person who notices that.

But hey - it is still a great looking radio. Don't take my comments as raining on your parade. I'm just...observing.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Pictured Ron in the sky looking down on a parade, raining and observing.
Cool picture.
We should order that photoshop picture to someone Icon_lol

NOOOOO..... Icon_eek Icon_wtf Icon_crazy Icon_e_confused

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN