Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 18H (late) grill cloth

I am working on a nice Philco 18H late for a client. The grill cloth is frayed in places and I am not sure I can repair it or have it rewoven. Thoughts?
If not, I need to find a close replacement. I am aware of Kenny Richmond's stuff and Radio Daze who has a single chevron cloth. I was wondering if there are other multi-chevron options out there? I saw this one on eBay and wondered what you all thought of it?
- Multi-chevron grille cloth on eBay

Here is my radio grille cloth:

[Image: http://www.louhaskell.com/data/philco18h-grill.jpg]

I'd be surprised if you were able to find anything much closer than the one you found in the ebay link. I don't believe that multi-chevron pattern has been reproduced although Ron would know for sure. If you don't like the color, which seems a little more yellow, the guys here who are pretty good with cabinet restorations have used toning lacquers to alter the color of grill cloths. I have never tried it though.

I wouldn't bother with that fleabay seller, he does not really sell grille cloth, what he does is pedal upholstery or drapery fabric that he found in a fabric store, like Joanne Fabrics, as grill cloth. You might as well save your money and buy it directly from Joannes rather then off of this hack.
   I have suggested this before on the alternative forum but I still wonder why nobody has asked SMS in Portland, Oregon if they could reproduce some of these? SMS specializes in reproducing upholstery fabrics for vintage cars, which have some similar weave patterns to grille cloth at times so it obviously is not an issue.
Regards
Arran

+1 what Bob said. The multi-chevron pattern was never reproduced as it was used in very few Philco models.

I actually have two of that same cabinet (118H and 144H), and both need cloth. If I keep them around, I'll probably just use the more common single chevron pattern and be done with it. It's only one chevron but the color is much more accurate. Like Bob, I've heard of people using toning lacquer to change the color of their fabric but I have never tried it.

I would also be skeptical of the yellow cloth simply for the simple reason that it may be too thick and might tend to muffle the sound.

Arran, you know the answer as to why no one has approached SMS...money. Most radio collectors are...shall we say thrifty...oh, heck, shall we say tightwads...and expect a company to spend the $$$$ to tool up to make specialty cloth and then sell it for 50 cents or a dollar for a 12 x 12 piece. Isn't gonna happen. These are the same people who, when they want to sell a radio, expect to receive hundred$ of dollar$$$ for a cheap radio.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks to all for the fast replies. I am going to try to contact a "re-weaver" in Cincinnati and , if that does not work, I have the single chevron to fall back on.

(11-29-2016, 06:19 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Arran, you know the answer as to why no one has approached SMS...money. Most radio collectors are...shall we say thrifty...oh, heck, shall we say tightwads...and expect a company to spend the $$$$ to tool up to make specialty cloth and then sell it for 50 cents or a dollar for a 12 x 12 piece. Isn't gonna happen. These are the same people who, when they want to sell a radio, expect to receive hundred$ of dollar$$$ for a cheap radio.

Ron;
  That's just it, the reproduction grille cloth, believe it or not, actually costs more per yard then reproduction automotive upholstery cloth when you work it out per yard. By yard I don't mean per square yard but 52'' x 36'' as they sell fabric by the roll. In any event the seller of that so called "reproduction grille cloth" is one of those very same characters that prices (rather shill bids) auctions for very boring five tube nothing radios to the tune of hundreds of dollars, and gives you a crappy and incorrect refinish to boot, as well as cheap upholstery cloth in the grille.
Regards
Arran

I restored 18H and used something that had gold-red pattern, same colors as the original but not really close.
Use what you think is best.
Or take the other Chevron and bleach it Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.