Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

16B cathedral grillcloth

http://www.radiodaze.com/grille-cloth-02-item-grc02/

Is this (#02 pattern) correct?

The pattern seems the same though the remnants of the cloth on the frame are copperish in color.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Probably as close as you're going to get these days. Kenny Richmond also has a similar pattern (Whiskey Rayon).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yes, Kenny's seems even closer, though could be the way the photographs are done.
I have a sample of the cloth I bought for my 20 console back in 2011 from the Daze, at the time they had it, and see if it is enough. If not, I will probably buy from Kenny.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

What I thoroughly forgot about was I bought the cloth (seems the same as the #02 from the Daze) from Mark Palmquist.

So, those of you who have experience with Philco cloth - on those cardboard frames - what is the best gluing procedure? I men I've done this, but I am sure the results could be improved.
Like keeping the cloth taut etc.
Do I cut it first or starch and cut, or...????

...actually, Sam Mashburn, not Mark Palmquist.

Sam sells the cloth; Mark sells the dial covers. They share the same booth at K-town.

As for mounting the cloth...

I cut the cloth slightly larger than what is needed. It is good to apply spray starch and iron out any folds if necessary.

Use 3M Super 77 or equivalent spray adhesive on the backing board.

Then it's a matter of laying the cloth down and stretching it out as best as you can.

I'm sure others have a better solution, and I would (seriously) like to hear it...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

That's the same method I use as well. I once put the cloth in one of those circular frames used for needlepoint. This was when I did my 80jr which has a smaller cloth. It kept the cloth stretched as I placed it on the adhesive coated grill cloth board. Worked fine but takes much bigger frames for some radios. I now just use Ron's method.

I tried that as well once...and I was disappointed with the results. For me, it actually worked better to just carefully stretch the cloth out on the board by hand before the adhesive had a chance to fully set. YMMV.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I will try the starch. Where can I buy it?
For glue so far I just used fabric glue. I put it around the outer edge of the frame so it does not sip into the visible part.
If I find the 77 spray, will get it. (Home Depot?)

The cloth...yes, but it was Mark I paid to Icon_smile

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Super-77-1.../100067550

Use the spray 77, it gets tacky in a minute or so but lets you pull the cloth up and put it down again as you stretch it if needed.

The spray starch you should be able to find in the grocery store in the cleaning supply isle.

Bought starch and the 77 glue.

Almost all the spray starch is scented. I could barely find one unscented. What is it with the scent obsession in this country?

It doesn't take much of the spray adhesive. Try it out on a piece of cardboard first and note how long it takes to get tacky, not too long but you have time to position the cloth. Use a piece of old tee shirt on the cardboard test for practice.

Well..despite surprises I achieved a very good result with it just now.

This said, I highly NOT recommend 77 glue. It gives you next to no time at all to stretch the cloth. It becomes tacky witbin 2 seconds and by the time you put the cloth on it already glued.
I had one single wavy place on top and I used lots of strength to stretch it within 10 second time after placing the cloth. Good thing it was the only one.

For highly experienced folk, sure. For those less experienced - I had good results with fabric glue. Which is what I am using in the future.