Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chinese frequency counter module

This is a prime example as to why nobody should bother with an old frequency counter in unknown condition, with modules like this who needs someone else's problem? I have one from the 70s or 80s that I inherited, but I know that it works, or at least it did the last time I used it three or four years ago. Frequency counter, with nice display $9, why even try?
 The reason I mentioned it is I ran into a guy about 2-3 hours South of me on fleabay who is trying to sell a bunch of old test equipment from the 1950s through the 70s, including old signal generators, VTVMs, scopes, and frequency counters, all of it beyond premium priced, and all untested, so basically glorified e-waste. If that isn't bad enough he actually thinks that old sewing and knitting machines are worth money, which is interesting given that the thrift stores can't seem to get more then $20 for one.
Regards
Arran

(12-20-2016, 11:06 PM)Phlogiston Wrote:  The 10s digit I can deal with - until I forget to check the dial.

I'll try the static film. I kind of like the bright blue. I ran this module at 15V also. The display gets quite a bit brighter. I don't suppose that really ought to happen.

Russ,

I am very weak with this semiconductor stuff, but I would love to add this on to my signal generator.  Any chance you would make a schematic for us ancients to use?   Icon_mrgreen   Joe

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

Hi Joe,
This will get you working.
You should probably put a small
cap in series w/the black input lead.
About 50-100mmfd 500v

Attached Files Image(s)

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry, Thank you very kindly!  Joe

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

I just ordered one.

Joe

Joe, when you set up the counter, connect the input to a point before the attenuator switch and pot. That way, no matter what the output level setting, you will always have full signal to the counter and a stable reading.

I did find the "full signal" did over-drive mine. Might need a resistor too.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Just received one (ordered 2); now I have to find the time and finish the several projects that are in my study! What a great problem to have. Joe

Joe

Just looked, these are down to 8 or $9 with free shipping - that might take forever. But still worth it.

In my experience, shipping from China is typically 2-3 weeks. Considering it is often free.....more than acceptable.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

funny,
most of today i was searching for this item, terry told me about it a while back as well.

I found a small pocket sized signal generator and a pocket sized digi o-scope as well.

lots of this stuff is shrinking in size and coming down in price.

I need to get test gear because my newly obtained S53A is way out of wack and i cant seem to figure out how to redneck guestimate the alignment all that well like i was able to do by ear tuning to wwv on my S38 and my 46=1226.

Hi Folks,

I'm resurrecting this thread, since the frequency counter module I had been using seems to have led me astray! In my recent thread in "Other Radios" I'm working on a more modern digital set. I'd used one of the modules a while ago, to follow the procedures in the service manual. For communications receivers, I'm picky about frequency calibration to the "last digit" level - this probably says a lot about my OCD nature....

Anyway, After completing alignment, I found the radio slightly "off" tune, which could be corrected by using its fine control. We're talking a few hundred Hz here, and the offset was similar on all frequencies. That led me to check the BFO oscillators for LSB ad USB. Both were off by the same amount with respect to a tuned carrier. Verified by a good instrument, this pointed the finger directly at the cheap counter. It also explained why it looked as if the 18 MHz crystal in the PLL would not trim properly.

It is likely not a problem for many applications, but beware the accuracy delivered by these units if you plan to use them for precision work.

Cheers

Ed

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

I put one in the place of the watt meter in my 288ax. I put a on/off switch so the output level wouldn't be pulled down by the counter.

Andy

I was thinking of adding to this thread as well.

These things are great. I wanted to show my "portable" installation into a plastic gum box (available at WM).

I saw the diagram for the 6 digit counter so for you tech types: Miernik częstotliwości Alan 87 PLJ-6led (made in china) (elektroda.pl)

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry