Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

While I write this......

I have a good friend, and we have been having quite a bit of heated talks about two radios in question. I have a Philco 38-116. As I write this the radio is on and I am enjoying it. My friend has a Philco  37-116. He insists the quality of his radio is such a bit better. I do not know about that but I love the cabinet style of the 38-116 better! I believe both radios must be close in listening pleasure for sure. But I know the cabinet of the 38 is more beautiful. With the slanted front and the wood tones. Help me with the fight! Let me know guys what you think. The 38-116 must be the winner!  Icon_wave Icon_wave

I dont own either but I like the look of the 37 better...

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

John

It's a matter of personal preference.

I like the looks of 37-116 better, not a big fan of "no stoop no squint". But this said I len 38-690. And 38-116 is an excellent radio.

As for the soubd, well, some audiofiles hold it as the ultimate truth that a triode output cannot be beat.
37-116 has triodes while 38-116 has kinkless tetrodes. Then again, some of the best amps are built with KTs, including tbe Dynaco 70 and Mac 275.

Blind test is the gold standard of any comparative testing, and if tested blind, many of us won't be able to tell a solid state pocket radio from a Klipsch loaded Fisher 500.

So..... Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I put the 37-116 in my collection.  Not a fan of the no squat, no stoop, no squint look.

Can't tell you how they compare sound-wise though.