Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-155, what say you Phorum Phanatics???

Hello all,  Found a 40-155 at a craft/antique store near my house today, minus knobs and power cord.  Cabinet is in decent shape, and it has it's back.  So it's you're turn to vote.  I don't buy everything I see like "Old Restorer", just for the sake of having it.  I don't know much about this set.  In your opinion, is this a "must have" radio, or just a run of the mill Philco.  Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

It's the best table model radio USA Philco had to offer in the 1940 season (not counting Tropic models which were made for export anyway), and is basically the same chassis as the 40-190 console. Other than the usual warnings about the need to replace rubber-covered wiring, I say that if you really like it, you should go for it. If you can handle rubber-covered wire replacement, you will have a very good, very sensitive radio once properly restored.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(12-06-2016, 11:30 AM)GarySP Wrote:  Hello all,  Found a 40-155 at a craft/antique store near my house today, minus knobs and power cord.  Cabinet is in decent shape, and it has it's back.  So it's you're turn to vote.  I don't buy everything I see like "Old Restorer", just for the sake of having it.  I don't know much about this set.  In your opinion, is this a "must have" radio, or just a run of the mill Philco.  Take care, Gary

I have the 40-150 and it's my most used set and an excellent performer. Sure the rubber wiring is a pain to replace, but if the price is decent I would say go for it!
Kevin

Hey, I resemble that remark, Icon_lol

In my defense, I am collecting 1930-1940 Philco items and radios for my display and stocking up on winter projects..
Do I need 2 of everything.. No but they KEEP coming up cheap locally, Icon_lol

As for the radio, I dont like that model so I give a thumbs down if it was local... If you like it and it is affordable then go for it!
I got rid of mine last year or you could have it.

What are you looking for? I have a bunch that are too new for my display or not Philco I could send you for cost and shipping...
I have ( off the top of my head)
A 50-925 $16.00
A Garod 5A2 with crack in case $5.00
A Emerson 425 no knobs and stripped already $8.00
A Plastic GE clock radio $6.00
A Plastic Zenith clock radio $8.00
I have others if you tell me what you like...
Me

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Kirk!  I was wondering how long it would take for you to toss a comment back at me.  All meant in fun, my friend.  Really not looking for anything at the moment...just saw it out of the corner of my eye and $39.95 price tag got me thinking.  Probably wont pull the trigger on it.  Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

For what it's worth, I have a 40-180 chassis sitting in my 40-190 cabinet and, if the 40-150 is anything to go by, it's got good sound (at least with the 12" speaker). And as I've only restored this one radio, I can safely say it's a friendly resto. Icon_biggrin