Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

model 95 Philco worth

Have a lead on a model 95 Philco that is currently non-working. Tubes light and no audio as I understand it.
Has a real nice cabinet.
What would this be worth and how hard is it to re-cap etc.?
murf

$75 give or take, depends on the cabinet type and overall condition. Especially nice specimen could be a bjt over $100. Speaker is likely to not work. Either xfmr or field coil. Make sure you ask.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hi Murf,
A couple of points. The filter caps are in the metal box w/tar. A little messy to replace but not hard. Paper caps are in the bakelite cases like the newer models, It may have a few tubular caps w/an internal resistor connected to it(#10 and 11). Again no big deal to replace. As with most old sets the rf coils, audio transformers and field coil are suspect. Have a look at the back  of the chassis to if there's a large tube shield mounted a cross the back of the set. I'm not 100% sure but I think it's suppose to have one. If the dial doesn't turn it's a pitb to restring.
It came it several cabinet styles this may affect the price a little. If it's complete and someone hasn't pulled out the 45's out (there in the right front corner of the chassis looking from the back) I'd try to stay under $100. As you know older console are a bit tough to get rid of these days.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

As a rule the lowboy cabinets tend to be more common, and therefore less desirable, then highboy versions, though not by a whole lot. The model 95 chassis was the best one for the 1929 model year so it's not a bad one to fix up regardless of what cabinet it's in, but in terms of fixing one to flip they probably are not good money makers.
Regards
Arran

Think I'll pass on this one.
The earlier models have never appealed to me anyway.
I find them harder to work on that the mid 30's to early 40's as I am not really up to speed on the early electronics.
They don't bring much on re-sale, so I think I will keep the space open for something else.
Thanks for the info guy's and have a merry x-mas if we're still allowed to say that.
murf