Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

118X electrical overhaul

As long as the IF transformer coils are not open or shorted, don't worry about the wax. I have a 118 and my IF's look the same as yours.

That additional electrolytic was added by a repairman and is not original or on the schematic. It was probably installed to reduce hum because the original filter caps were failing. 

I used a larger value replacement electrolytic after the choke, 22 uF (73)  to reduce background hum somewhat. Don't use more than 10 uf for cap (74) or you will increase the B+ voltage above spec. This cap should have a high ripple current rating as it is a bit stressed. I used a 10 uf 630v Polypropylene film in my radio to avoid problems.

RF coils dripping wax is common thing I see, not necessarily something to fret about. Could be just warm enough under there that some wax ran.
Coils, if not open, same as mica caps, innocent till proven guilty.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

So this project hasn't died out yet, and I'm in the middle of recapping the unit. (life has been busy!)

In regards to replacing a Multi-Can Capacitor...

If there are 2 or more leads on a single terminal, say 3 leads going to a 1uF terminal, can you split up the leads and give them each there own 1uF capacitor? One of the current leads comes all the way across the chassis, and I have a good place to put an individual 1uF cap.

I can't see this causing any harm, and I would think they did this just to lower the parts count.

Thanks!

There might be the need for all three to be together and then de-copuled with 1uF cap, so, likely no, if there were three leads on the same cap, I would keep it this way.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.