Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-4 low volume

Hello! I have a question regarding my 38-4 restoration.  I have spent a good long time restoring this beautiful radio and am on the threshold of completion.  I have replaced all the caps and resistors, checked the tubes to the best of my ability.  I haven't yet had the speaker repaired, but the cone does have a large tear.  I would expect the speaker to still function as it should, although the sound quality will be poor and distorted.  After cleaning the whole chassis and plugging everything back up, I turn the set on and a couple of stations come in clearly.  But even with the volume control all the way up, the volume level is quite low.  Is there something that I am missing that may cause this?  I know that I need to work more on my antenna, but the stations that come in clearly should still have some volume to them, correct?  My tube checker hasn't been checked out for a number of years, but all of my tubes seem to be reading about the same.
Thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

ALSO, on this 38-4 model, what does the middle 2-position control do? Obviously the left control is on/band selector, and the right control is volume, but I am not sure about the center knob. Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

I moved this thread into the electronic restoration section. Nice job on your radio!

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the Phorum!

I believe the center knob is the band switch, the left one is the tone control.

Have you checked the alignment? Poor alignment could cause low volume. Also, double check your work, make sure all the capacitors you replaced are the correct value and there are no wiring errors.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Especially IF alignment. While the rest of them will simply result in incorrect dial position, the IF misalignment will rob you of the volume.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.