Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

color of wire and gauge

I am getting ready to order some wire to repair a speaker for my philco 90 and 70 dose any one know what color and what gauge I need it looks to me yellow green and black with a tracer
benny

Any gauge will do, the currents are small. Even AWG 26 is plenty. So anything that Daze sells, the smallest gauge, is good.
As for the colors, are you doing a museum quality restoration? If not, just use whatever colors you use for wiring the chassis, and enough variety to discern when twisting together 3 or 4 of them.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

For what it's worth, here's what I do.

I use the 20 gauge stranded "small profile" cloth-covered wire from Radio Daze. Years ago, I decided to standardize on the 1932-36 Philco speaker wire color codes, or as close as I can get to them since we can't buy wire that has the contrasting color of tracers woven into the cotton covering - we can only purchase solid colors - as follows:

Single-ended outputs:
Green - Output plate to audio transformer
White - Output screen grid to audio transformer and one side of field coil
Blue - Other side of field coil (original color was green with white tracer)

Push-pull outputs:
Green - One output plate to audio transformer
White - Other output plate to other side of audio transformer
Blue - Screen grids or B+ to center tap of output transformer plus one side of field coil (original color was green with white tracer)
Any other contrasting color (red, yellow, orange) - Other side of field coil (original color was blue with white tracer)

I hope that makes sense.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Just a quick tip.  I get white cloth covered wire, and "color code" it with Sharpy permanent markers.  They come in just about every color.  Easy to just put a trace line down the side, or color the wire piece completely.  Cuts down on stocking several spools of different wire.  Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan