Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

replacing filter caps in 37-610

I am relatively new to doing some of this electronic restoration, although I've done much of this sort of thing outside of radios in the past.  My question is, on my 37-610, I have done a cap job but am divided on what to do about the filter caps.  On this chassis there is a single bakelite housing that has the 2 .02uf filter caps inside.  There are 3 separate connection points on the underside and was just wondering how you would go about replacing these.  I have a pair of ceramics to replace with, but it doesn't seem that the original housing is reusable, so, with the 3 connections on the old setup, would the center connection be the common and the 2 outer ones be positive or? The schematic that I have is a bit fuzzy so I'm just wondering what some Philco veterans have done with these. Thanks!

Are you talking about the line filter caps which connect to the AC line cord?

If the bakelite housing is still there you can warm it with a heat gun and push out the old cap and tar, then install the new caps inside. The ground connection is common to both caps for the line filter

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=9107

This is how you restuff them.
read first and go step by step.
if you take shortcuts....well, you will still succeed but with lots more mess created around.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Morzh, thanks for the link, it worked perfectly, another trick learned!

I just got done removing the old filters caps the easy way explained and shown by Morsz on another thread.

Very easy. Did not unsolder a single wire. Heated for just a couple seconds and they pushed right out. 

Now, I am new to electronics. Model 81 Philco the caps are listed as 33 two of them  10, 31, two nuber 8's and the last one was hard to make out but I think it is 2. How do i order new ones and by pushing them out through I can not tell which wires on the old caps go where.  Is the center eyelet on the caps like a ground. Some of them are wired together at one end but I don't know where the other end sticks up in which eyelet.  I have a schematic  but unsure. Are these Y style ceramic discs radial style. My schematic shows 2 ,.015 condensors in one block where I took out the two number 8.'s  What do I replace them with.  Can I call Radio Daze and order

Yes, the line cord. I have removed the inside of the black box. When I get the new caps , will have to figure out how to wire them

Hi Bill,
>I just got done removing the old filters caps the easy way explained and shown by Morsz on another thread.

I'm not sure which caps you are referring to. The filter caps on your model 81 are listed on the schematic as #37 and 38. These are electrolytic caps which are polarized (have a + and - connections). If you noticed that there isn't a value assigned to them because this schematic is form Canada where at the time they used 25cy ac current. In the states we use 60cy ac. There is a difference in the value between the two. You want to replace these with 10mfd (ufd) @ 450vdc.
The caps inside the black bakelite shells under the chassis are not called filter cap as they are used for a bunch of different  applications.
So the caps in the bakelite shells that you need to replace are: #15 listed as two .09mfd. Nowdays this is a non standard  value so they get replaced with two .1mfd
#24 which are a .001mfd and a .015mfd. These are still standard values.
#28 a .006mfd again standard part.
And #35 a pair of .015mfd. Some would use a XY cap for the one by the ac switch. To me I don't know that it matters much. All of these caps should be rated @ 630v and are mylar or film caps. These are not polarized no + or -.

Some of us order in quinity as we use them up pretty quick. You can get a little price break. Just to keep thing simple I may want to just order your caps and resistor from Radiodazes. There are afew guys that just sell caps but if you need other things...

OBTW you probably continue to post on your original thread rather than tagging on someone else s. I can be a little confusing as to which topic is being discussed. Moderators may move it, it's not a big deal.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry