Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Austrian Hornyphon

Hi,
Just acquired this nice looking Austrian Hornyphon radio. I've never looked at a European radio chassis so don't know if this will be a challenge or not. First of all, can I just plug this into 220 volt and expect no power supply problems? Will the 50 hertz spec be OK? Anything that I can expect to cause me trouble or confusion?

Thanks,
Alan

Hi Alan,  A photo and model number of the Hornyfon would help us assist you.  Thanks,  Joe

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

Hornyfon.....I thought it is a phone sex service's name Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I always wanted one of those just so I could tell people that I had it.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Doesn't look all that horny to me......Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

That name definitely made me do a double take! Some things just don't translate well...

No matter where you go, there you are.

mike   No   Icon_problem

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Here's a photo, a Prinzess W362A
Looks like other models have a voltage selector, but not this one.

Attached Files Image(s)

OK.

Now we add the "princess" to the name.

No really....this is too much Icon_lol

Here's my Hornyphon before I restored it.  This one is the W455X "Potentat".

Sean
WØKPX

I bite my tongue......their naming system was clearly devised by someone who read too much of the Playboy.

Icon_lol

Maybe these radios are like the band Toto. You chuckle at the name, then they blow you away with their performance!

No matter where you go, there you are.

German / European radios are very good, but american are still better on average, though some European ones are really stylish.
So no blowing away....just pleasant sound.

It isn't usually a problem to power a 50 cycle device on 60 cycle, unless it has an AC motor in it in which case the motor may spin faster. Transformers usually don't care if they are operated at a higher line frequency, within reason of course, but they don't like the opposite. Most European radios have taps on the transformer primary that allow operation on several different line voltages, sometimes it's a plug on the transformer, other times there is a wire that you have to undo from a screw terminal and move to another terminal. You may have to remove the back to get at it if it has a voltage selector, if not come back to us for a plan "B". This Hornyphon looks like a later model from the 1960s if the eye tube is any indication, it looks like an EM84.
Regards
Arran

Thanks, there isn't a visible panel of plugs like some models so I'll get in there and take a closer look at the transformer.

Alan