Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 20 Dial

I have a Model 20 with a warped and dirty dial scale. I considered purchasing a repro but don't know how to replace the old one and re-install the new. any suggestions or instructions on either repairing the old one, or installing a new one?

I  seen where  buzz
had heated up one with iron
wonder if that would work

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

I wonder if careful usage of mineral spirits would help.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I have this exact issue with mine. I'm more bothered by the warp than the grime (I can clean grime slowly with a magnifier and tiny brush).

Mcusi, the dial itself is attached with rivets, so you could probably just drill out the existing rivets to remove the old one, then attach the new one with pop rivets or small sheet metal screws.

I can't tell if the warp in mine is due to the metal expanding/contracting over time, or if it's due to heat. I may drill out one of my rivets to see if releasing some of the tension allows it to pop back into form. If not, may try softening with a heat gun and pressing back into place.

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

You have to be careful with the rivets: using a regular riveting tool might damage the dial.
I would use only aluminum rivets and possibly flared them by hand.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Would use screws to replace the rivets. Pop rivets would most likely crack the new replacement dial. Something small like a #2 or 3 machine screw/nut.  Be careful when cleaning any Philco dial never use water or soaps use mineral spirits. I just finished up an 81 w/a warped dial used a heat gun on low to remove the warpage. Got about 90% of in out.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

It's a theory but if you could use a thick cardboard (well you might get lucky and have a cone-shaped solid object at home with the surface curvature matching the dial but it is not likely) to create a cone with matching angle and curvature, and then while heating the dial keep pressing it against the cone and then leave it taped around (having made sure the tape will not lift the text off it)) that could be a way to remove the warpage.